New Radar

Nico Walsh

Jul 7, 2016, 11:39:59 AM7/7/16
to caborico
Any suggestions on a Raymarine radar?

Where to mount?

N C

Jul 7, 2016, 12:21:38 PM7/7/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Already having a wind generator and an engine hoist on my stern I chose to mount the radar antennae above the spreaders, especially given the nature of the 38's to sit low in the stern. Also, I wasn't too thrilled about being in the direct path of the radar beam. I think mounting it higher will also give you a little more range. Go with a gimbal mount if you can.

On Jul 7, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Nico Walsh <nwa...@gwi.net> wrote:

Any suggestions on a Raymarine radar?

Where to mount?

jpcorri...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2016, 2:38:27 PM7/8/16
to caborico
I don't have Raymarine but my Garmin is mounted on a post with a motor hoist I got from Marine Systems.  My thinking was if I stepped the mast I would still have Radar.  I looked at the gimbaled feature and with the radar scope of the Garmin I felt it wasn't worth the $$.  Mike Thompson, owner of Marine Systems was the one pointing that out so you pick

S/V Watauga

Oct 23, 2016, 1:10:53 PM10/23/16
to caborico
Just installed Raymarine Quantum on the mast above the spreaders. Added a neat chrome rail so it won't foul with the sails and it doesn't.  Works great and I too am not real comfortable with the radar low and shooting "at me".  Probably get more range this way too.

Bill Jones

Oct 23, 2016, 3:25:34 PM10/23/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I also purchased the Quantum radar and will be replacing my old radar which is mounted in the same place.  Hopefully I will be able to use the existing mount as it also has the protective bar on it.

Bill
Camelot
Hull#2

Alex Tarlecky

Oct 25, 2016, 9:12:31 PM10/25/16
to caborico
Hi,

One thing to consider is that if you mount your radar dome on the mast, like we do, make sure the self-tending staysail will stay clear of it when hoisted. We recently had new sails made and the staysail needs to be cut down so as to not get hung up.

- alex

curtis hoffman

Oct 26, 2016, 12:17:14 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I did the same setup years ago on a 35 Columbia . Height didn't help range because the transmitter wasn't powerful enough. I had fouling problems with my jib even with a stainless guard around the radar dome. My present Cabo 42 I have the radar on a special mast aft in the cockpit . Works well.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone

N C

Oct 26, 2016, 2:33:31 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have my radar mounted above the spreaders and haven't had any fouling problems. The Genoa has to pass through the slot of the forestay and inner stay when tacking so it would be very difficult for it to foul up on the radar. Short of back winding the sail it hasn't been an issue.

Due to the curvature of the earth a higher radar mount location yields greater range. The trade off is, objects very close may be out of the radars beam.

curtis hoffman

Oct 26, 2016, 3:04:18 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Curvature of the earth is fine. Well except when the radar transmitter power cannot reach the horizon. Also close in targets you must switch to A close in range. Reason being is in long range the transmitter stays on longer. So long that it covers reflections close in.
Paul

Sent from my iPhone

N C

Oct 26, 2016, 3:58:20 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

image2.jpeg

curtis hoffman

Oct 26, 2016, 4:22:31 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Noted your article hasn't considered radar power. I taught radar in the service and for years had a fed license to install and repair radar and high power transmitters.

Sent from my iPhone

N C

Oct 26, 2016, 4:32:04 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't the radar height on a sailboat have to be extraordinarily high for the radar transmitter not to reach the horizon? I don't think just above the spreaders creates that problem.
Periodically changing  the range on the radar to make sure your not missing anything especially in poor visibility seems like a good practice. I find my self doing it quite frequently.

curtis hoffman

Oct 26, 2016, 4:47:50 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Changing range is mandatory.  Think about this. The horizon is further away the higher your antenna is.

Sent from my iPhone

N C

Oct 26, 2016, 4:51:32 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
The radar mentioned was the Raymarine Quantum, I'm unsure of the exact power output. It appears that most of the sail boats have them mounted just above the spreaders. Does mounting them lower limit the effective range of the radar? Realizing that power plays a key role I think that the article was geared towards typical pleasure craft set-ups with low output radars not military grade applications.

N C

Oct 26, 2016, 4:53:07 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's a given on both counts.

curtis hoffman

Oct 26, 2016, 5:28:01 PM10/26/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
When I installed the radar on my old Columbia I mounted the antenna above the spreaders . Quickly learned that my range was limited by the transmitters power not antenna height . My Cabo has its antenna on a pole in the cockpit learned from
My earlier experience.

Sent from my iPhone

S/V Corsair

Nov 15, 2016, 8:20:15 PM11/15/16
to caborico
I am having a B&G radar installed on a backstay mount.  I could not bring myself to clutter up the beautiful lines of the boat with a pole and mounting on the mast is challenging with the staysail/inner forestay.

Richard Roten

Nov 15, 2016, 9:01:01 PM11/15/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure it will look and work well.
You have now, arguably, the finest looking CR in the fleet
Well done.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 15, 2016, at 20:20, S/V Corsair <pirate...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I am having a B&G radar installed on a backstay mount.  I could not bring myself to clutter up the beautiful lines of the boat with a pole and mounting on the mast is challenging with the staysail/inner forestay.

Calypso Poet - CR38 #116

Nov 25, 2016, 10:16:42 AM11/25/16
to caborico
Quick question on mounting a Quantum on the back-stay, and maybe a silly question as I dont know much about radar.
With the new fandangled very short distance resolution you can get out of this (or other solid state radars), does the mast not end up causing a big blind spot? In the add for the radar, it is shown that you can even discern a channel marker - about the same size as the mast??

Pete

Richard Roten

Nov 25, 2016, 11:40:29 AM11/25/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Not sure but that is another reason I put my new Quantum on the mast above the spreaders

Sent from my iPhone