Black water

Nico Walsh

Sep 18, 2016, 6:05:36 PM9/18/16
to caborico
So we went aboard Far and Away after a week of her being closed up and she smelled some of sewage. I did replace the tank access ports a week ago and they seem fume tight. Sometimes the head bubbles a bit - normal? The holding tank is maybe a third full. I think the breather vent is clear.

I suppose we'll replace the hoses this winter but any other ideas? On the web I found articles suggesting two vents (on opposite sides of the boat) for the holding tank, and even a bubbler to ensure only aerobic bacterial are present. I found some nitrate based packets the prior owner and left and flushed one down, no idea if that's effective.

Anyway I prefer my yacht to have not even a whiff of poop . . . Any ideas?

LB Home

Sep 18, 2016, 6:12:11 PM9/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Did you have the smell before the work you did?
I always go back and look at the last thing I did.
We have the same bubbling issue. Hand pump rebuild solves it.
Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

Nico Walsh

Sep 18, 2016, 6:41:28 PM9/18/16
to caborico
Before I replaced the access ports they leaked a gallon of sewage during a rough sail when the tank was full. They do seem tight now.

LB Home

Sep 18, 2016, 6:46:42 PM9/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Wow.
I have hull 89. I have never seen access ports.
Maybe pump out , flush the tank multiple times then fill with died water. See if you can see where it is coming from.
I have always thought that lack of access to the holding tank had been an issue.
Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

Alex Tarlecky

Sep 18, 2016, 8:59:30 PM9/18/16
to caborico
I'd suggest you scrub your bilges. I'm not talking about pouring some bleach in and washing it around... I mean get a sponge on a stick and use something like pinesol to get in there and really wash it out with some vigorous scrubbing. Don't forget to get up and around areas you can't see. Also wash around through the small liber holes using whatever means works for you.

Then take Clean Potties / Raritan KO and mix a 50/50 mix with water in a spray bottle and then spray all over the bilge.

Put some fans in there and let it dry out nice a good.

Rich DiMinno

Sep 18, 2016, 10:41:09 PM9/18/16
to caborico
Hi Larry,
We have hull #88.
Lay out with straight setties
No access ports.
We can only get to the forward face of the tank.
Would love to flush out our tank but have not come up with a good way.
Cheers,
Kallisto

Alex Tarlecky

Sep 24, 2016, 3:20:25 AM9/24/16
to caborico
Rich,

Fill black water tank with about a gallon of Tide and fill with fresh water. Let slosh around for about 2 weeks, going for some good sails. Pump out.

That will completely clean out the tank.

After cleaning ours like that we gained maybe 20% capacity of the tank back.

- alex