Replacing anchor rode

Rich J.

Sep 23, 2016, 4:49:34 PM9/23/16
to caborico
Hello all.

I need to replace my chain rode and am looking for suggestions. I currently carry a 100' of 3/8 BBB with an additional 100' 5/8 nylon on a 45# CQR primary anchor. I have noticed this year some severe rust/corrosion at about the 50' mark on the chain (the length I typically deploy in the Chesapeake tributaries).  Heading south this fall and want to replace the chain before we take off. I'm thinking about going all chain (200' of 3/8 BBB). However, I see on some old postings that some of you carry 5/16" HT (275').

Rich J.
CR38 #161
BUIOCHAS

Thierry Danz

Sep 23, 2016, 4:59:06 PM9/23/16
to Cabo Rico Group

I carry 5/16 HT on my 42. It used to be 275ft, but there is only 180ft left. I had to cut off 95ft due to rust. Now I should cut off another 10ft or so at one end. It's time to get new chain. If you change from 3/8 to 5/16 you also need a new gypsy on the windlass. But 275ft of 3/8 is a lot of weight in the bow!

Thierry
CR42#12 CURLEW
Back in Baltimore after a spectacular Maine trip.

Robert Benner

Sep 23, 2016, 5:04:53 PM9/23/16
to caborico
Rich

Meredith is one of the boats that uses 5/16 high tensile chain. No adverse effects yet.

Regardless what chain you choose buy your chain from an agricultural supply house. The cost will be ‎one third the price from a marine supply outfit.

Bob

N C

Sep 23, 2016, 5:13:05 PM9/23/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Rich,
I got rid of my nylon rode and went with 300' of 5/16 HT.
Actually it's 2 sections of 200' and 100'. If I remember correctly I used a Kong chain shackle to connect the two lengths of chain and surprisingly it will pass over the gypsy. I also have a 45# CQR. I like the full chain option and not having to worry about a nylon rode abrading.

Nick

Nick

Alex Tarlecky

Sep 24, 2016, 3:40:46 AM9/24/16
to caborico
We use 300' of 3/8" G4. We actually noticed better trim on the boat when we added that weight :) However, we would probably have gone for 5/16" if we had not gotten such an amazing deal on the 3/8" at the time.

S/V Watauga

Sep 27, 2016, 1:53:25 PM9/27/16
to caborico
Bob:  I am thinking of adding to my 3/8 BBB.  Is the agricultural supply house chain the same stuff?  Nothing in it that would make it less desirable for a marine rode?  Where, for example is such a house?  Any names/recommendations?

Dick
S/V Watauga
Hull #160

Richard Joiner

Sep 27, 2016, 2:38:16 PM9/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Dick,

Not sure if you have the same Muir VR-3000 windlass as I have on #161, but when checking the gypsy this weekend, I found 5/16 BBB stamped on it. It has been pulling 3/8 BBB for the past 20+ years. Talking to the Muir distributor, he says there should have only been 5/16 BBB or 5/16 HT run through that gypsy. Wondering what negative effects running 3/8 through it has caused?

Rich

S/V BUIOCHAS

LB Home

Sep 27, 2016, 4:22:13 PM9/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Tractor Supply or a Farm and Fleet should have it.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Roten

Sep 27, 2016, 5:46:12 PM9/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I think mine is a Muir 1000 but it has been running 3/8 too. What anchors do you have on the bowsprit?

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

S/V Watauga

Sep 27, 2016, 6:01:55 PM9/27/16
to caborico
rich:  When are you heading South?  I plan to leave Norfolk around the 15th of October. Looking to go inside to Morehead City then in and out depending on the Wx.  Be nice to have another CR out there somewhere.  Be interesting to see your boat and what you have done with it.

Richard

Sep 27, 2016, 8:51:45 PM9/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I carry a 45# CQR and a Fortress. The boat was originally set up with a 35# CQR and a 33# Bruce. The previous owner kept to Bruce.

We will be leaving from the Kilmarnock area the first of November. Hopefully run in to you alone the way. What is your final destination?

Rich
Sent from my iPad

Steve McAlister

Sep 27, 2016, 11:02:10 PM9/27/16
to caborico
I personally would not use anything less than made in the good ole USA ACCO chain, one of the few still made in the US.  Most supply stores will carry what may appear to be a brand name, look closely to see if it was manufactured off shore and re-labeled.
There is a supply house in Miami that has the best pricing on ACCO, I can dig up their information if you want it (on another computer).  Even with shipping they beat any brick and mortar I could find.

Robert Benner

Sep 28, 2016, 5:12:54 AM9/28/16
to Thierry Danz
Dick

It is the same chain but it is almost certainly made in China if that bothers you. The chain is certified when it enter the country and most chain these days originates in China.

Back in Ontario we use Tractor Supply Company.  In Georgia we have used AgriSupply Company and their chain is what we have now.  Third year and all is well.

Just Google farm supply store in your area.  You might have to drive into tge country to get it.

Bob

Robert Benner

Sep 28, 2016, 5:43:57 AM9/28/16
to Thierry Danz
As a Canadian you can imagine that I find the appeal of 'good ole USA' chain or anything else to be of limited importance.  We buy from you, you buy from us.

This is chain.  It is tested.  It is certified.  What more is there?

Bob

Richard Roten

Sep 28, 2016, 7:29:12 AM9/28/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Cape Canaveral.

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

S/V Watauga

Sep 29, 2016, 7:34:50 PM9/29/16
to caborico
Rich:  I got a chance to look at my Muir windlass today and it also has 5/16 BBB engraved on it. BUT, i looked along the circumference and a little farther along it has 3/8BBB engraved.  So it seems perhaps, the gypsy is configured to both of those similar sizes.  I am pretty sure that mine has been working fine for 25 years with 3/8.  What do you think?

Richard

Sep 29, 2016, 8:03:39 PM9/29/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I have a 3' piece of 5/16 HT to check the fit on mine because I was thinking about replacing my 100 of 3/8 with 275 of 5/16. I'll be on the boat this weekend and will take a closer look at the gypsy markings, check the fit of the 5/16 and make a decision. Mine too has had 3/8 run through it for 20 some years and has served me well for past 8, but with severe corrosion at the 50' mark, it needs replacing.

Sent from my iPad

cab...@aol.com

Sep 30, 2016, 9:39:58 AM9/30/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, rjo...@joinermicrolab.com

Hi test, and bbb, as best I can tell, need a different gypsy. I went from 3/8 bbb to 5/16 ht.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19