mast boot

Tania Puell

Nov 12, 2017, 3:06:08 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Since hurricane Maria the mast boot on our CR34 is leaking.
Does anybody have any experience with repairing such a leak and advice on which products to use?

Thank you much,
Tania

gregry melnechuk

Nov 12, 2017, 3:13:46 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
It's likely the Stainless steel fasteners for the boom vang, etc that are leaking, if not you can buy and make up a new one from West Marine..4200 or silicone for a sealant because both are removable.  :)

curtis hoffman

Nov 12, 2017, 3:15:08 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I’d contact a mast builder and ask advice. Send a photo

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Dave Newberg

Nov 12, 2017, 3:27:42 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Our was leaking for several years and several attempts to stop the leak failed until we removed the collar, where we found multiple trails where the water was flowing past the decayed bedding compound. Since you have an older boat, that’s where I’d start, if you have not rebedded it yet.

Cheers
Dave

Leslie Owen

Nov 12, 2017, 3:30:58 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Many folks pull out the material around the mast and replace it with a wax toilet bowl ring. It seems you can break it up and force it back into place to seal the space around the mast where it enters the deck. Then as you lower the deck plate seal that as well. Then roll the boot back down and seal the sail tracks with sealant as you tape it around the mast. I have not done this myself. Just researched it. Good luck.

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34
In the hard,
Chester River, MD

Sent from my iPhone

Tania Puell

Nov 12, 2017, 3:58:21 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome advice, everybody.

Thank you very much.

Tania

curtis hoffman

Nov 12, 2017, 5:32:27 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
More better is butyl rubber. Never hardens, cold flows forever.

Sent from my iPhone

Tania Puell

Nov 12, 2017, 6:17:35 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
Tania

LB Home

Nov 12, 2017, 10:17:49 PM11/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We had the same problem. I used 2 boots. I think a medium and the largest West Marine had. I bedded both bottom edges to the deck then bedded one above the other and screw clamped each at the top on the mast. Never leaked again.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Tania Puell

Nov 13, 2017, 3:40:47 AM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Larry
What bedding compound did you use?

Thank you!
Tania

LB Home

Nov 13, 2017, 7:19:09 AM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Wow testing my memory here. Not 5200. Maybe white Life Caulk. It held and did not leak for over 5 years until we sold the boat this year.
Make sure to to leave room for the boot the flex. Don't stretch it tight when u install. You will have to cut the boot to install it unless you have the mast out. The seams held up as well.

Hope this helps. Work well for us.

Larry
Boatless

Sent from my iPhone

Tania Puell

Nov 13, 2017, 9:40:59 AM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you much!

Tania

Thank you!
Tania

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

LB Home

Nov 13, 2017, 9:45:44 AM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
NP. If I find a picture I will send it along.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Percival W Herman

Nov 13, 2017, 10:22:39 AM11/13/17
to caborico
http://www.stayafloatmarine.com Along the lines of the wax ring, I wonder if this stuff might be a good candidate in this application?

Tania Puell

Nov 13, 2017, 10:24:59 AM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! Thank you!
Tania

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Percival W Herman <winner...@centurylink.net> wrote:
http://www.stayafloatmarine.com  Along the lines of the wax ring, I wonder if this stuff might be a good candidate in this application?

Thierry Danz

Nov 13, 2017, 10:44:58 AM11/13/17
to Cabo Rico Group
I wonder how this product, or the toilet wax ring, interferes with the mast wedges?

When I need to replace the mast booth on Curlew I would take a neoprene rubber section cut to shape and seal it around the mast with either butyl tape or silicone caulking. Definitely not 5200, which is a permanent adhesive. I would not recommend a polysulfide, such as LifeCaulk, either. This stuff really deteriorates fast when exposed to light. Caulk it upside down, so that once the caulking sets the neoprene booth can be folded down over itself and over the top "hose" clamp, and then secure it to the mast rim on deck. I protect the rubber mast booth from UV light with a Sunbrella canvas cover. (I have also read that some people use the material from an inner truck tube.)

Thierry
CR42#12 CURLEW
Philadelphia, A

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Percival W Herman <winner...@centurylink.net> wrote:
http://www.stayafloatmarine.com  Along the lines of the wax ring, I wonder if this stuff might be a good candidate in this application?

Thierry Danz

Nov 13, 2017, 10:48:45 AM11/13/17
to Cabo Rico Group
Booth??? I meant boot!

TD

Tania Puell

Nov 13, 2017, 10:49:29 AM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
:-D

Thank you

LB Home

Nov 13, 2017, 12:16:21 PM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
As I Sadi really can't remember what I used except I know it wasn't 5200.

Thierry is correct on the Life Caulk. The key is to install it with enough room to flex and not tug on the bottom sealed edge. Up north I did not see a need to cover it but good idea.

It is a fairly easy solution.

Larry
Boatless

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Tania Puell

Nov 13, 2017, 3:50:27 PM11/13/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Tania

Alex Tarlecky

Nov 14, 2017, 12:06:15 PM11/14/17
to caborico

Tania Puell

Nov 14, 2017, 12:10:02 PM11/14/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
Tania

Tania Puell

Nov 19, 2017, 12:45:44 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
After sealing the mast boot, it turns our there is another leak which seems to be coming from the top of and through the mast; possibly because we lost some antennas and lights off the mast in the storm. We won't be able to get the boat in a yard for a while so we cannot fix the issue up top (we had all our running rigging stolen, so cannot raise somebody up the mast). Does anybody have an idea how to stop the water from running into the interior?

Thank you!
Tania

N C

Nov 19, 2017, 1:06:22 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Tania,
I don't know that you can completely stop water from running down the inside of the mast. Slots for the running rigging to pass through as well as standing rigging etc. will allow some water to enter the inside of the mast. The mast base  plate should have drain holes in them that allows the water to pass through into the bilge. You shouldn't have water draining onto your cabin sole unless the drain holes are clogged.

Nick
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Leslie Owen

Nov 19, 2017, 1:10:07 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Tania where do you see water coming in?  Is it running down the outside of the mast inside your boat?  Welling up at the mast step on the floor?  Or you find water in your bilge so water is coming in? Or it is raining from the mast trim pieces in the overhead?

The 34 mast step has limber holes that if filled with dirt, dust or whatever will not let water go out the plate to the bilge. If water is welling out of the plate onto the sole, you may be able to lift the wood cover up and clean out that mast step.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I am picturing an open umbrella on the top of your mast. 🙃

Best and happy thanksgiving,

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Tania Puell

Nov 19, 2017, 2:01:01 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
My husband says he finds the bilge full of fresh water every time he goes to the boat (once a week about).
This has never happened before even in rainy season. I am not sure how he has determined that it is coming through the mast.
(He is the one in Vieques, where he can only communicate via satellite text device, while I am in Germany)

Dave Newberg

Nov 19, 2017, 2:07:21 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Here is CR's mast-foot configuration on our hull, #7. These two photos taken with our mast down may help you determine how to clear your drain holes.

We can access and clear ours from underneath using a piece of stiff ROMEX wire or something similar.

Good luck
Dave

ldcb...@aol.com

Nov 19, 2017, 2:16:32 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Tania,

It must be a big leak if it fills the bilge in a week. I would have to look for other sources of the leak. If the mast is leaking that much I would think there would be visible signs of water around the base.

We kept our mast step drains open using s small bottle brush that you should be able to find at a hardware store.

Larry
Boatless

Dave Newberg

Nov 19, 2017, 4:21:28 PM11/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Larry — I would be looking for a ruptured scupper drain hose or something else that could let in lots of water . . . unless the “bilge full of fresh water” is a bit of an exaggeration.

Dave

In a message dated 11/19/2017 2:07:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, sv.c...@gmail.com writes:

Here is CR's mast-foot configuration on our hull, #7. These two photos taken with our mast down may help you determine how to clear your drain holes.

We can access and clear ours from underneath using a piece of stiff ROMEX wire or something similar.

Good luck
Dave
<DSC03892.jpeg><DSC03891.jpeg>

Tania Puell

Nov 20, 2017, 8:30:33 AM11/20/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, all!

Tania

Alex Tarlecky

Nov 20, 2017, 2:32:28 PM11/20/17
to caborico
That's normal and one of the negatives to a keel stepped mast.

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 12:45:44 PM UTC-5, Tania wrote:
After sealing the mast boot, it turns our there is another leak which seems to be coming from the top of and through the mast; possibly because we lost some antennas and lights off the mast in the storm. We won't be able to get the boat in a yard for a while so we cannot fix the issue up top (we had all our running rigging stolen, so cannot raise somebody up the mast). Does anybody have an idea how to stop the water from running into the interior?

Thank you!
Tania
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Tania Puell <tpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you!
Tania

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Alex Tarlecky <atar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great reference site:

https://theriggingco.com/2014/06/28/das-boot/

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 3:06:08 PM UTC-5, Tania wrote:
Hi everybody,

Since hurricane Maria the mast boot on our CR34 is leaking.
Does anybody have any experience with repairing such a leak and advice on which products to use?

Thank you much,
Tania

Chuck Batson

Nov 20, 2017, 3:59:51 PM11/20/17
to caborico
Re: Finding the bilge filled with water. In addition to the cogent thoughts and responses already given, is your bilge pump operational?

Best wishes,

Chuck

curtis hoffman

Nov 20, 2017, 4:14:19 PM11/20/17
to Cabo Sailnet, Paul Hoffman
  Consider a few square inch pieces of paper towel and a little masking tape. Stick under the possible places water might be getting in. Next time to the boat look for wet ones….