Surviving on Mooring

Clay

Mar 10, 2015, 10:30:17 AM3/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Those with extended stays on a mooring especially those who have survived through a blow..just curious how does one prep ones CR in preventing their mooring pennant line from cutting through by ones bob stay..?

Clay
s/v Tango
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River,Md.

gregry melnechuk

Mar 10, 2015, 10:42:30 AM3/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Use the fitting at the bottem of the bob stay to extend a line to the mooring ball??

Mickey Panayiotakis

Mar 10, 2015, 11:09:41 AM3/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
How long is "extended"? TWo things come to mind: Make sure you trust the mooring. Here on the Chesapeake (which is not too salty), my friend's mooring chain broke after 5 years. He keeps a link from the failed chain on his boat: it's pencil-thin. Second is to keep an eye on chafe or use good chafe protection. Good idea to double up: use fitting at the bottom of bobstay as Gregry mentioned, plus run hefty lines (with chafe protection) on a bridle to both bow cleats.

CHeers

Richard Joiner

Mar 10, 2015, 11:18:32 AM3/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Clay,

When BUIOCHAS lived on her mooring on Indian Creek (Kilmarnock). I installed a piece of ¾ CPVC pipe on her bobstay. Sliced a ¼ or so groove down the length with table saw. Our mooring had two substantial pendants (1” I believe). Never had a problem with chafing. In preparation for Sandy, we added two extra lines (5/8) from the mooring to bow cleats and wrapped the mooring pendants with fire hose.  The only chafing observed was where the 5/8 lines were tied to the mooring shackle.

Richard

Buiochas

CR38 #161

LDCB...@aol.com

Mar 10, 2015, 1:48:28 PM3/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Since our Danforth is on a holder port side of the bow we use the second anchor rollers to run our mooring lines off of. This stops the Base Fiddle sound as the lines rub on the lower stay. We place a snubber on the line to reduce shock loads when it gets ruff. I always try to have two lines on the ball for long stays. One loaded and one loose incase the other chaffes through

The boat seems to not sail on the mooring as much when rigged like this also.

Larry
Venteux

Alex Tarlecky

Mar 21, 2015, 10:37:32 AM3/21/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We have stayed in St. Augustine for about 6 months on a mooring, I guess that qualifies for a long term stay! We have not had a problem with the bobstay cutting our mooring lines... but just in case, we use a chaffing guard on each of the lines (secured with tight zip ties so they do not slip) where they may contact the bobstay. Also we have a float noodle (cut down the middle lengthwise) that gets wrapped around the bobstay and secured.

FYI - we have more chafe around the hawsepipes where the lines makes a convoluted s curve. We use very thick chaffing guards that go through the hawsepipe. We also put chaffing guards on the whisker stay about where the hawsepipes are.

Alex and Lisa
S/V Tiki Trek

N C

Mar 21, 2015, 11:32:02 AM3/21/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
There was an article not too long ago which talked about being on mooring balls during heavy weather. One of their main contentions was that the ground tackle was more responsible for boats breaking free from moorings than any other factor. If there was a forecast for heavy weather they would remove the ground tackle which minimized the number of "breakaways." I had a bridle chafe through from rubbing up against the anchors, although, I'd be hesitant to take them off for obvious reasons. A heavily padded cover seems like a better option. I have a heavy gauge clear vinyl hose that I fit over my bob-stay. I doesn't look too bad but, it's worth not having to listen to the chain clanking against the stay while anchored and protects the stay when raising the anchor.

Alex Tarlecky

Mar 22, 2015, 9:54:44 PM3/22/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We did inherit a very large chafe guard blanket from another boat - its a massive thing developed for Navy ships. Have not used it. I think this is the commercial version here:

You could also consider dipping your line into maxi jacket. We plan on doing this when we need new lines in a few years: