Hard vs. soft vang?

Tom

Jul 19, 2017, 12:40:03 PM7/19/17
to caborico
Eclipse came with a soft vang.  I can't say I've used it much on the Chesapeake.  It's rigged with the vang control line at the mast, so laziness yields little use.  For the refit, I plan to bring the control line back to the cabin top in the cockpit.  I had originally planned to stay with a soft vang, but I got to thinking about a hard vang after using one on an offshore passage (on another boat).  The only downside to the hard vang that I see (besides cost) is that I believe it will interfere with the saloon hatch just aft of the mast on my 1987 hull 115 model.  I suppose I could re-rig the hatch to open aft, but its wind scooping properties at anchor are nice.  It would be nice to dispense with the topping lift as it would seem to preclude a fuller roach on my next mainsail.  Everything is a trade-off with sailboats, so I thought I'd ask here to see what you all do.

   -Tom

gregry melnechuk

Jul 19, 2017, 2:33:55 PM7/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I use a boom brake instead,

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Tom <tom...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

cabo79

Jul 23, 2017, 9:46:53 PM7/23/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I use a Gahauer hard vang. You can open the hatch enough. I had a boom fall on my head once.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Tarlecky

Nov 14, 2017, 11:22:21 AM11/14/17
to caborico
and... the Gahauer is cheap... $500 custom sized.

We are definitely going rigid.  I do not like the idea of our boom depending on a topping lift. Besides... I have had a very loose topping lift (my fault) catch and wrap around the backstay at night. That was interesting.