Inflatable Dink

Nico Walsh

Jun 28, 2017, 6:55:39 AM6/28/17
to caborico
For our CR 34 I'm thinking about buying  a Highfield 8' 2" roll up inflatable. On a passage we'd roll it up and lash it just forward of the companionway cover. Small 4 stroke Yamaha. I don't want davits and I can't fit a hard dinghy on deck. Any thoughts? I'd like to stay away from outboards (and carrying gasoline) but can't think of any other good way to manage the dink problem.

Dave Newberg

Jun 28, 2017, 1:48:45 PM6/28/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We don’t have any experience with that brand, but go for the high-pressure inflatable floor (they call it airmat) — we like our HP floor Achilles much better than our former slatted floor.

On our 34 we lash dinghy on the deckhouse as well — never in the way and feels very safe there in big seas.
Can’t use davits due to Monitor wind vane, but likely wouldn’t choose them anyway.

We don’t have one, but I hear good things about the Lehr propane outboards, a fuel you already likely have onboard.

Cheers
Dave

On Jun 28, 2017, at 5:55 AM, Nico Walsh <nwa...@gwi.net> wrote:

For our CR 34 I'm thinking about buying  a Highfield 8' 2" roll up inflatable. On a passage we'd roll it up and lash it just forward of the companionway cover. Small 4 stroke Yamaha. I don't want davits and I can't fit a hard dinghy on deck. Any thoughts? I'd like to stay away from outboards (and carrying gasoline) but can't think of any other good way to manage the dink problem.

Chuck Batson

Jun 29, 2017, 10:49:57 AM6/29/17
to caborico
Nico, have you considered Torqeedo (http://www.torqeedo.com)?

Also, has anyone here had experience with folding dinghies such as Porta-Bote (https://www.porta-bote.com) or Quickboats (http://quickboats.com)?

I will need to be making these choices in the not-too-distant future as well.

Best,

Chuck
CR34 hull #34
San Rafael, CA

Nico Walsh

Jun 29, 2017, 11:49:44 AM6/29/17
to caborico
We are planning an extended cruise and I don't think the Torqueedo has enough capacity.

LB Home

Jun 29, 2017, 4:15:48 PM6/29/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have owned about every dink configuration there is. Slat bottom, inflatable floor, 3 piece solid wood floor, solid fiberglass Boatex and a rib. Also been on boats with various dinks. Did run across a couple on a 40' Manta Cat out in the Abacos towing a 12' Boston Whaler with a 15 hp motor.  Wouldn't want to cross the Atlantic that way but gives you a lot of range and speed at anchor .

All and All a Rib with fairly flat floor and large 18 " tubes and a spray shield was the best. Stable, fast enough and can carry a good load.

My 2 pennies.
Now where you store it is another issue. We could put our 8' Boatex and the 8.5 inflatable floor dink on the foredeck. We also had davits which I liked for the most part. This decision is a constant compromise depending on what you are doing and where you are doing it.

Larry
Boatless

Sent from my iPhone