Spartight

LB Home

Apr 28, 2017, 10:42:51 PM4/28/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
No matter what they say or how close you follow the instructions Spar-tight never performs as advertised.
Always a pain to remove the mast.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Dave McGinnis

Apr 28, 2017, 11:16:33 PM4/28/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Great! I just applied it. Something to look forward to. It certainly was a mess to pour.
Regards,

Dave McGinnis
Manager and Senior Captain
Traverse Tall Ship Company, LLC

Looking for a terrific vacation rental? Check out "Schooner House"!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

While in Traverse City, check out Traverse City Tours for wine tasting tours and much more! Top notch service at reasonable prices.  Go to:  http://www.traversecitytours.com/

LB Home

Apr 29, 2017, 10:25:15 AM4/29/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Dave,
We followed the directions and as per all the research we could find.
The new owner and marina crew took almost 2 hours to cut and chisel the mast free. A bit of a blue mess everywhere.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Dave McGinnis

Apr 29, 2017, 2:44:50 PM4/29/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Well there's something to worry about for the next six months.

Alex Tarlecky

Apr 30, 2017, 9:27:11 AM4/30/17
to caborico
I have to disagree. We have spartite and not only does it work very well, we were able to remove it from the mast when we took the last out and reuse it again. We never get water down the outside of the mast.

We make sure we also use tape the boot as well.

- alex

Dave McGinnis

Apr 30, 2017, 9:40:24 AM4/30/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
That's encouraging to hear, Alex.

LB Home

Apr 30, 2017, 10:14:29 AM4/30/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ok cool
We must have done something wrong.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Coolrocks

Apr 30, 2017, 6:54:07 PM4/30/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Opus has it and have steped the mast 4 times. holds the mast tight but she leaks, but a properly installed mast boot keeps it all dry.

Jamie

LB Home

Apr 30, 2017, 7:44:15 PM4/30/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I Just thought that it might have had something to do with the boat being struck by lighting after I sold it. We had never pulled the mast since installing the Spartite.
 Might have melted and then harden.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Newberg

May 1, 2017, 10:09:08 AM5/1/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We installed Spartite on our 34 in 2009 to help mitigate leaking at the mast — here are a few observations:

It initially seemed to do a good job of making the seal which looked almost perfect, visually. But after one typical severe Lake Superior winter, causing mast contraction, then expansion, the Spartite had slightly lifted away from the collar. I expect it would have fared much better in a lower latitude climate with more moderate temperature extremes.

We perhaps could have found a way to re-settle it back in place in the collar, thus continuing its use, but we discovered that our leaking was due to deteriorated bedding under the mast collar, so we had to lift the mast a bit and cut away the Spartite to facilitate lifting and rebedding the collar.

Based on our experience, Spartite appears to be a decent product (albeit expensive). It’s easy to work with, and having planned the project out carefully, it truly appeared to be doing a fine job of sealing the mast at the collar, before the winter-induced mast shifting.

I will admit, however, that we did not pull the mast and replace it with the Spartite in place, so I can’t say that it would have worked properly after mast R&R.

The Spartite fit perfectly, so after removal and cutting away, we are still using four pieces of it for centering the mast instead of wedges — that works great — still getting our money’s worth from it I suppose.

Our original 26 year-old mast boot is still siliconed properly in place and doing its job well. We’ll continue relying on that for now.

Cheers
Dave

Alex Tarlecky

May 1, 2017, 11:08:59 AM5/1/17
to caborico
Right, the trick is using spartite along with taping the boot.

A couple of tricks to getting spartite to work well.

a) Only pour it when the boat is in the water. When the boat is not in the water the shape is somewhat different and the rig is not tuned.
b) tune the rig before using the spartite.
c) use vaseline or another chemical to keep the spartite from actually sticking to anything, that way you can reuse it with little fuss.
b) Follow the spartite with an appropriate boot and tape.
c) When applying the boot, be sure to use some caulk in between the boot and the mast where channels exist, to prevent water getting down under the boot through those channels.

I use the following tape all around the top of the boat. It lasts maybe a year at most in the tropics.

- alex