Cap rails

Kale Gorham

Mar 8, 2018, 11:46:29 AM3/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have info on a alternate material for cap rails

LB Home

Mar 8, 2018, 12:55:22 PM3/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Someone painted theirs a light blue years ago. 🙄

I have never seen a a synthetic wood I likes but hove not looked in a few years.

They need replace or just don't want to refinish them AGAIN?

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2018, at 11:46 AM, Kale Gorham <kgor...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have info on a alternate material for cap rails

Kale Gorham

Mar 8, 2018, 12:57:45 PM3/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Larry i need to replace them i was thinking about the composit planks they use for out door decking?

Mar 8, 2018, 12:58:21 PM3/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry created this with vocal rec.

Sent from my iPhone

Robert Benner

Mar 8, 2018, 5:45:55 PM3/8/18
to Thierry Danz
While in Horta we had a German carpenter undertake some repairs on our toerail - including the replacement of about eight feet of damaged material (another boat dragged into us in Mile Hammock Bay)

He used Iroku which I have to say is almost identical in appearance to the original teak: a little darker.  It was readily available at the time and not badly priced.  The carpenter did an amazing job stripping out the damaged wood, feathering in the new wood and machining the repair in place to match perfectly.

Even knowing it is there we have to actively seek out the replaced length of teak.

Bob Benner
Connie Van Bussel
sv Meredith

On Mar 8, 2018 11:46, "Kale Gorham" <kgor...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have info on a alternate material for cap rails

Kale Gorham

Mar 8, 2018, 6:32:34 PM3/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I will look into it for availability here in south florida i was going to replace all but considering mow to just replace damage areas o jave teak 2x5x8 125.00 each
If i can ill try iroka also known as African teak. Did your carpenter epoxy the splice joints just curious.

Mar 8, 2018, 6:49:37 PM3/8/18
to Thierry Danz
Kale

He glued it but with what adhesive I do not know.  The original toerail had to be chipped out and I think I recall that it was glued/epoxied in place as well as screwed.  I do not trust my memory on this however.  We were off seeing Horta and drinking with friends and all sorts of activities unrelated to the toerail repair.

It is dark here on Man O War Cay but tomorrow I will take a picture of the section and forward it.  We use Cetol on the toerail which likely helps blend in the two woods: two coats of teak light topped with clear.

Bob

Kale Gorham

Mar 8, 2018, 7:13:31 PM3/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ill call my supplier tomorrow and see if he carries african teak i have some areas where teak is good but have separation thought about using epoxy with teak dust

Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:49:35 PM
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Kale Gorham

Mar 8, 2018, 7:14:01 PM3/8/18