Fresh water manifolds for CR42 and other models

s/v Patty Jean

May 12, 2017, 10:21:38 PM5/12/17
to caborico
I thought I would share an idea I had for replacing the factory hot and cold fresh water manifolds on my CR42 #18.
The factory manifolds are one inch thick starboard blocks drilled and taped for NPT x hose barb fittings and are mounted to the bulkhead under the galley sink.
The first year I owned the boat a leak developed in the cold water manifold. I was in the Bahamas, so as a jury rig I drilled holes for screws applied 5200 and used wood screws to hold the manifold together. The jury rig fix lasted 3 years. I finally replaced the starboard block with a common bronze garden hose manifold and hose x hose barb fittings from a hardware store.  I did the work myself and the cost was under $50. Problem solved.
Last season I decided to get a spare manifold in case the hot water manifold failed. I bought the manifold and fittings from S.F. Travis Hardware Co. in Cocoa Village.  Not sure the cost because I also bought a few other needed items. I highly recommend this hardware store just for the experience.  It's two blocks from the anchorage on the ICW.
We carried on and sure enough, during our cruise in the out Islands of the Bahamas the hot water manifold developed a leak. I removed the fittings and used the old starboard manifold as a mounting block for the new bronze manifold. See before and after photos.
Jim

IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG