Inside Leak

Garrett

May 17, 2018, 5:31:38 PM5/17/18
to caborico
Need some help!!!
I have a leak which shows itself above the port light (inside) in the head running down the face of the teak when facing the head. I am thinking it must be a thru hull deck fitting.
I rebedded (?) the forward hatch a while ago and there is no leaking inside but perhaps running underneath the bedding and down to starboard. Any ideas before I remove the teak strips to gain access? I don't relish the idea of removing this beautiful teak but do need to tackle this. Thanks

S/V I Believe
1993 Cabo Rico 38
Hull 164

Leslie Owen

May 17, 2018, 6:15:11 PM5/17/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Garrett. I feel bad to reply since we do not have the CR38 but maybe our situation can help you. We have a CR34 that had a leak in the head that was easily tracked to the staysail traveler above. We removed the teak strip covering the traveler hardware. It then was a matter of removing the 6 inch bolts that came through the deck hardware into the head and removing caulk that had shrunk over time. It was an easy bit of maintenance for us. Hope your’s is an easy fix.

I am sorry if your vessel is so much different that this is useless for you. With the rain that is falling in the Mid-Atlantic, we are growing web feet.

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR34, Hull #2, 1989
Rock Hall, MD

Sent from my iPhone

LB Home

May 17, 2018, 6:45:37 PM5/17/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Water has always taken the least path...
Three things come to mind:

Hand Rail,
staysail traveler track ( on my 84 the nuts were exposed or covered with wood panel so easy to check. )
Mast collar.
Also memory serves me the forward dorad box is just right there also but does not have a through bolted mount.

Right before selling ours we started getting a leak in the Vberth aft port bulkhead. I was totally perplexed.
I pulled and re beded all the staysail track bolts. Solved the issue. I was honestly surprised how loose many of the bolts were.

Larry
Boatless

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2018, at 5:31 PM, Garrett <svenska...@gmail.com> wrote:

Garrett

May 17, 2018, 6:50:47 PM5/17/18
to caborico
Thanks Larry.
I pulled the teak to see the staysail traveler track and it appears dry. hmmmm....

LB Home

May 17, 2018, 7:44:05 PM5/17/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ok that is fine but it wasn't until I started to rest them all did I realize they were an issue.
Easy fix that does not take much time to eliminate a possibility .
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Garrett

May 17, 2018, 8:17:50 PM5/17/18
to caborico
Thanks. What bedding compound did you use? I used 4000 to bed the hatch. Might as well rule this out.

Dave Newberg

May 18, 2018, 12:09:11 AM5/18/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We had a similar, hard to track leak which turned out to be the mast collar. It was an easy fix, as all it needed was to be re-bedded. We couldn’t see or even guess the problem existed until it was removed, at which point the paths where the water was traveling under the collar were obvious.

Cheers
Dave

Message has been deleted