dingy length

ldcb...@aol.com

May 16, 2015, 4:34:31 PM5/16/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Last year I sold my unstable Boatex 8 sailing dink. I was interested to know what size tender does everyone find work best. I am looking at a 3 year old Zodiac 10’ with the 3 board bottom and large tubes. It looks as if it may be rather large hanging on the davits. $900.00 with cover 2012. Coming along side a dock might be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Larry
Venteux

Sent from Windows Mail

Dave Newberg

May 16, 2015, 10:53:51 PM5/16/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We’re quite happy with our Achilles 9’ with high pressure inflatable floor. We were doubtful about the floor being adequately rigid but no regrets - works great. It will even plane with just one adult aboard with a 5HP Honda 4-stroke. To plane I have to move forward just barely out of reach of the tiller but I can steer very comfortably by just leaning port or stbd.

We either tow it or haul aboard and tie it on coachroof deflated. Don’t use davits because of Monitor windvane.

Cheers
Dave

Larry Barker

May 17, 2015, 8:42:18 AM5/17/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave. I think the 10 footer will be to big.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Clay

May 17, 2015, 10:24:35 AM5/17/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ours came with a 9' Caribe semi rigid but prefer our 8' Fattyknees while on the Bay. Probably will bring the Caribe out of mothballs if and when we go cruising..

LDCB...@aol.com

May 18, 2015, 8:36:20 AM5/18/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Clay,
Interesting. I have hear nothing but good things about Fatty Knees. I went to the Boatex because I was tire if the inflatable issues.
Not as stable as advertised.

Thanks

Larry

Leslie Owen

May 18, 2015, 9:08:05 AM5/18/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Larry there is a company that offers tubes (bladders) that can be applied to the exterior of
Your hard dink. The name is not coming to me but I thought that could be an interesting addition to our Fatty Knees.   Don't think Clayton was too interested but I could see where they could give more stability to a pretty stable platform the FK's offers. Also I wondered if you could then increase the outboard to a 5 hp????  Have not done it but have pondered the idea.
Love the FK dink.

Best,

Leslie
S/V Tango, CR34

Sent from my iPhone

LDCB...@aol.com

May 18, 2015, 9:34:34 AM5/18/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Leslie,

I have seen those also. It is not an option since I sold the dink. I had a great little Johnson 2 HP that went with it. 1940 or 50's vintage. Only weighed 40 pounds.

Since the boat is still for sale I really don't want to invest in new. May have to revisit the Fatty Knees. The Boatex 8 looked great and once on the seat it rowed like a dream. Speaking of fatty knees :), they want me to get 2 new ones next winter so stability until then is important.

Thanks,
Larry

gregry melnechuk

May 20, 2015, 1:17:24 PM5/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Good choice

Leslie Owen

May 20, 2015, 2:15:35 PM5/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Larry good luck with your new knees. Fatty or otherwise. I bet you will wonder why you waited. Most folks I know do well and never look back.

Leslie

Sent from my iPhone

Larry Barker

May 20, 2015, 3:25:55 PM5/20/15