Introduction and Question

155 visningar

GARBOARD

oläst,
5 aug. 2013 12:06:292013-08-05
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
I've been a member of your board for over a year now and have yet to post anything.  I wanted to introduce myself and I'm sure in the future I will post questions and also share what ever I can learn about these boats with the group.  I own 1991 C/R 38 Hull # 150,  it is a custom offshore model.  I am currently doing maintenance on the hard and need to drop at least a portion of the headliner to access the through bolts / nuts in order to replace a cracked mast pulpit mount.  I didn't find much in the threads regarding this.  My question is as follows:

Is the headliner all one piece or does it separate in sections as I
remove the horizontal teak bars holding it up ? In other words do I
need to start at one end of the boat and begin drilling the bungs out
and removing the screws and horizontal teak pieces to drop the whole
headliner to where I need to be,  or can I just remove the fore and aft
teak cross pieces under the area I wish to access ?

Brian Gortney CMAT,
C/R 38 # 150

ron acierno

oläst,
5 aug. 2013 13:19:062013-08-05
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
i don't know the answer to your question, but welcome. where do you sail out of?

BRIAN GORTNEY

oläst,
5 aug. 2013 13:26:272013-08-05
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ron:
Thanks for the "Welcome" !  I have the boat at home on the hard and am not sure if I will be putting it in Lake Erie, or the Chesapeake when ready to splash ?  Time will tell.  I sent that question regarding the headliner to Fraser Smith last night but have not received a reply.
All The Best,
Brian
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

Brian Gortney CMAT,
Brian's Automotive
3049 11th. St.S.W.
Canton, Ohio 44710
(330) 453-0432
Since 1975
www.briansautomotive.com

Thierry Danz

oläst,
5 aug. 2013 16:57:532013-08-05
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Brian,

Welcome to the group. Before you remove the headliner, try to find out if there really is a nut and a backing plate. If there is one you can probably feel it through the headliner.  On my 2003 CR42 at least some of the deck hardware is threaded into a heavy aluminimum plate that is laminated inside the fiberglass.  Those parts I can just remove without need to acces the deck inside.

Thierry
CR42 CURLEW
Currently cruising Maine

Sent from my Samsung tablet

BRIAN GORTNEY

oläst,
5 aug. 2013 17:10:292013-08-05
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thierry:
Thanks for the input.  I wish I had that set up.  On my boat the bolts on deck for the mast pulpit bases just keep turning without loosening or moving up a bit.  There has to be nuts under the headliner I'd bet, backing plates as well I hope, and if so its a shame they didn't use aviation type notched riv-nuts in the backing plates .   I'm going to give Fraser a call in a few days if he doesn't respond to my email.  I have the same situation on the larger hinge mounting screws on my Lewmar Roll Stop hatches.  I don't want to "Blaze the Trail" on dropping the headliner without some knowledge of how to do so the fastest and easiest way without messing anything up.  I'll report what I learn. Plates with riv-nuts can be fabricated easily.   We will see what I find ?
Best,
Brian
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

N C

oläst,
6 aug. 2013 09:34:592013-08-06
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
Brian:
Welcome to the group. There was an earlier post by one of the members who was planning on removing part of his headliner, but I don't recall  if he posted any follow up comments. If you do remove it let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Nick
"RONIN" CR38 #190

Alan Gluyas

oläst,
6 aug. 2013 18:47:472013-08-06
till cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian
I have attached a picture of the headlining on Brite Star, which is a 1984 CR38 #82, showing the stapled joint under the athwartships teak trim.
I removed a section of my headling to fit backer plates for staysail tracks. It was a mistake as the tracks are too close to centreline but at least I did it properly!
I had to remove the inner porthole hardware as the teak trims that run fore and aft would not come out without doing so.
It is a pain in the butt removing the teak and replacing and refinishing the bungs is another story, so as Thierry suggest, explore all alternatives before drilling anything out!
Cheers
Alan
Brite Star
Kettering
Tasmania
--

Alan Gluyas

Director

Petrospection Pty Ltd

Marine & Cargo Surveyors, Petroleum Terminal Operators and Consultants, Tank Calibration & Hydrostatic Testing.

PO Box 216 Rockingham 6168

8 Edison Circuit Rockingham Western Australia 6168

Tel           61 (0)8 9528 1888

Fax          61(0)8 9528 1588

Mob:        0419 916 712

Business Email:   alan....@petrospection.com.au