Reefer cooling

S/V Watauga

Jun 27, 2016, 7:14:06 AM6/27/16
to caborico
I have a Novakool refridgerator and no matter what setting i put it on it freezes everything.  Any ideas or do i need to call a repairman?
Thx

N C

Jun 27, 2016, 10:43:05 AM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Is it a new installation? If not and it was previously working it sounds like you may be low on refrigerant. My old unit starting to do the same thing and just needed some refrigerant added, it cost me $90.
Restricted air flow will also cause the same problem as well. Have you done any work that may have crimped a duct or blocked a register?

Hope this helps.

Nick

On Jun 27, 2016, at 7:14 AM, S/V Watauga <rro...@cox.net> wrote:

I have a Novakool refridgerator and no matter what setting i put it on it freezes everything.  Any ideas or do i need to call a repairman?
Thx

Richard Roten

Jun 27, 2016, 1:09:27 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Nick,  No, it is original installation.  Bought the boat a few months ago so I don’t really know the history, but assume it was previously working.

Seems like low refrigerant would make it warmer rather than colder.  . .

Anyway, did you put the refrigerant in or have it done for the $90?  Boatyard or just an appliance repairman?

-Dick

Thierry Danz

Jun 27, 2016, 1:22:33 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Rico

Could it be a faulty thermostat? Or perhaps the sense wire got disconnected from the cold plate? I replaced the thermostat on my Technautics CoolBlue refrigerator with a SCAD Sensistat (which is a Carel thermostat with some additional functions). Well worth the investment. It gives you much better control over the temperature in the box.

Thierry
CR42#12 CURLEW
Baltimore, MD

curtis hoffman

Jun 27, 2016, 1:30:45 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Sailnet, Paul Hoffman
  I want one! Where did you buy it? What is wonderful about it please?

 Paul

Mickey Panayiotakis

Jun 27, 2016, 1:33:10 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Dick, do you have pictures of the installation? I don't think I"ve seen many CRs with these reefers.

Unfortunately I have no advice for you on this. One question: how many amps do you draw on start-up and also when the compressor has stabilized? Do you know what type of compressor it is? (OK, two questions)

mickey

Thierry Danz

Jun 27, 2016, 1:36:39 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Rico

curtis hoffman

Jun 27, 2016, 1:39:41 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Sailnet, Paul Hoffman

  Send me the rest of the article please.

Thierry Danz

Jun 27, 2016, 1:42:59 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Rico

The link should have the whole article.

curtis hoffman

Jun 27, 2016, 1:43:41 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Sailnet, Paul Hoffman
  It does if I am a subscriber to Practical Sailor.

Mickey Panayiotakis

Jun 27, 2016, 1:44:16 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
It's paywalled, Thierry.

curtis hoffman

Jun 27, 2016, 1:45:14 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Sailnet, Paul Hoffman
  I am a subscriber but I think a serious pain to find it in the 2009 edition!

Thierry Danz

Jun 27, 2016, 1:48:38 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Rico
OK, I pasted it into a word document. I don't know what they sell for now, but it essentially is a Carel thermostat with some extra bells and whistles.
Sensistat.doc

Mickey Panayiotakis

Jun 27, 2016, 2:11:47 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
FYI these guys have several options for digial thermostats, and I think they're pretty helpful:

N C

Jun 27, 2016, 2:59:01 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Dick,
Yes, it is counter intuitive having an A/C unit icing up when it's low on refrigerant. I had to have the A/C done by a pro since it had the old type juice in it.

My reefer is a Technautics Cool Blue which I believe has R144A in it which you can get at any auto parts store. Technautics made it real simple to top it off with the 144. I don't know if a low refrigerant level would cause a reefer unit to ice up. I know it will cause the evaporator in an A/C unit to ice over though.

curtis hoffman

Jun 27, 2016, 3:59:35 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I'm ok with you pasting it. Send it please.

Sent from my iPhone

N C

Jun 27, 2016, 4:01:17 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Dick,
The reefer I did myself. Technautics makes it easy as gauges aren't necessary.

Nick

Thierry Danz

Jun 27, 2016, 4:02:30 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Rico

I did. It was attached to my posting.

N C

Jun 27, 2016, 4:04:25 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thiery,
Was it a simple install?

Nick

Thierry Danz

Jun 27, 2016, 4:21:56 PM6/27/16
to Cabo Rico
Nick,

Not difficult at all. But if you have a CoolBlue fridge the Sensistat needs to be wired as if it is an AC voltage unit. The CoolBlue thermostat does not have positive and negative wires.

Thierry

N C

Jun 27, 2016, 4:24:21 PM6/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com