Does anyone have a vice onboard their CR34?

Leslie Owen

May 6, 2018, 12:41:48 PM5/6/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Happy Spring! As we are doing compounding and waxing, we are giving thanks for the cool weather. I am working on some splices and really think a vice would make it easier.

That got Clayton excited about having a vice aboard. Have you installed a vice aboard or have a small vice you can set up for projects? Other than somehow mounting to the windlass, I am at a loss for a plan.

Looking forward to any good ideas. 😄

Smooth sailing!

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34

Sent from my iPad

Chuck Batson

May 7, 2018, 1:30:32 PM5/7/18
to caborico
Hi Leslie! The only vice I have aboard is alcohol LOL.

But in all seriousness, I have spliced nearly all the running rigging without a vise. Tying one end around a jib sheet winch using the loop in the butterfly knot as described by Brion Toss has worked well for me. But maybe you are splicing different materials? I have only done nylon and polyester double-braid, as well as some core-to-core for the NE Ropes VPC halyards. No high modulus stuff yet. Although it does seem like it'd be generally useful to have a vise aboard, there isn't a great place on the CR 34 for a work space without perhaps sacrificing the v-berth. Maybe a "portable solution" like a vise on a board that can be securely mounted somewhere when needed then stowed afterward?

Chuck

JACK WICKMAN

May 8, 2018, 6:19:10 PM5/8/18
to caborico
Having a vise and a place with adequate space is very helpful ,but always something of a problem. Simple old New England solution is to fit a 8-12" board between the cockpit seats that sits on 2 wooden cleats that are permanently attached to the lower vertical sides of the cockpit well. Hold the board fixed in place with a few short screws that you take in and out. Bolt the vise to the board. When not in use stow in the seat locker.  You can't make full turns of the vise handle, but it does the job.

LB Home

May 9, 2018, 10:16:45 AM5/9/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Need a smooth surface probably like around the sink or frig top.  Not  nonskid
Most likely.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Newberg

May 9, 2018, 10:55:15 AM5/9/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hey, that truly looks as if it could work Larry.
It perhaps would grip on an area of smooth (maybe waxed) gelcoat, maybe on a hatch cover, or on the varnish on the coaming tops.
And at that price it’s probably worth the risk to try it out.

Cheers
Dave

Mickey Panayiotakis

May 9, 2018, 11:00:16 AM5/9/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
HI all

FWIW I have one like these:

I can clamp the bottom to any suitable place, on the boat or on the dock, then remove it and stow it. IT seems to work, although perhaps not the best.

mickey

Leslie Owen

May 9, 2018, 2:02:48 PM5/9/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. We will have to check out the suction vice. I like how you can change its angles. We have one of the clamp vices at home and it is handy. We like the idea of clamping with wood rests on a step. We are concerned about leaving marks somewhere on our lovely boat but think wood blocks should resolve that. And the steps in the 34 are stout and strong.

We appreciate all the great thoughts from this great resource of smarts.

Happy sailing!

Leslie and Clayton

s/v Tango, CR34 Hull #2
On the hard, Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD

Sent from my iPhone

LB Home

May 9, 2018, 10:58:13 PM5/9/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
There are a lot of these suction clamp devices around. I am sure there are a large number of reviews on each.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Leslie Owen

May 10, 2018, 8:47:46 AM5/10/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Larry. 😄

Sent from my iPad

curtis hoffman

Aug 23, 2018, 2:53:51 PM8/23/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Try gel gloss rather than compound

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 6, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Leslie Owen <kb3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Happy Spring! As we are doing compounding and waxing, we are giving thanks for the cool weather. I am working on some splices and really think a vice would make it easier.
>
> That got Clayton excited about having a vice aboard. Have you installed a vice aboard or have a small vice you can set up for qprojects? Other than somehow mounting to the windlass, I am at a time Morse’s loss for a plan.
>
> Looking forward to any good ideas. 😄
>
> Smooth sailing!
>
> Leslie
>
> s/v Tango, CR 34
>
> Sent from my iPad

Leslie Owen

Aug 25, 2018, 5:21:58 PM8/25/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Here is what we have going on for a vice for Tango. I purchased it at Harbor Freight. It clamps on and we use paint stirrers so we don’t mar the step when we mount it. The jaws rotate to different angles and surfaces. Pretty happy with this. Cost? About $39.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

LB Home

Aug 25, 2018, 5:31:09 PM8/25/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
There are a number of them that amount to the surface by suction I posted some last time somebody asked.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 25, 2018, at 5:19 PM, Leslie Owen <kb3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here is what we have going on for a vice for Tango. I purchased it at Harbor Freight. It clamps on and we use paint stirrers so we don’t mar the step when we mount it. The jaws rotate to different angles and surfaces. Pretty happy with this. Cost? About $39.
>
> --
> <image1.jpeg>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> <image2.jpeg>
>
> Clayton really enjoyed working on a task when both hands could be used for the job at hand.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Leslie
>
> s/v Tango, CR34
> Lankford Bay Marina, Chester River, MD

Mickey Panayiotakis

Aug 25, 2018, 11:01:05 PM8/25/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have similar, Lesley. Works well enough and portable to the dock for dirtier jobs

--

Mickey Panayiotakis
Managing Partner, Infamia

800.270.5170 x512
202-415-0318

http://www.infamia.com

S/V Oceanghost

Mar 28, 2019, 4:41:04 PM3/28/19
to caborico
We have a 5inch vice on board. Would not go sailing without one. We cut out a board and bolted it to down. We keep it in the rear lazaretto. We use it all the time.