Potential Bulkhead Replacement on CR34

John K.

May 8, 2018, 7:02:36 PM5/8/18
to caborico
So my biggest concern with my newly purchased CR34 is the damage that ensured from fresh water intrusion that left the floor and lower forward bulkheads submerged for too long. I've included a photo from the sales listing that demonstrates the issue. I have not yet been able to thoroughly examine it, so perhaps this thread is premature, but wanted to get the ball rolling to understand when a bulkhead replacement should be considered over a repair, and all that is involved in executing this repair. I believe the main areas affected are the main salon bulkhead to port, head, and the bulkhead into the V-Berth. Has anyone undertaken this already. Can anyone weigh in on the significance of the blackish areas around the bases of those bulkheads in the photo? I'll be back on the boat in a couple of weeks prepping her to be transported home, and can provide more detail then. For now, I'd love to hear tales from experience from anyone who has already tackled this or a similar job, and thoughts on what the photo illustrates!

Thanks
John
5595719_20160112133309879_1_XLARGE.jpg

LB Home

May 8, 2018, 11:19:12 PM5/8/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
John,

The only time we had anything like this
( no where as bad) was when the boat was set on the cradle with the bow down. I normally checked that we had a half to full bubble aft on a level siting on the cradle.  The bow down did not allow the normal water/condensation from the mast during winter to drain aft to the bilge. Water collected and froze. Raised some of the cabin sole around the mast step. Discolored the holly in the floor.

I don't believe the way the boat is constructed there is a major concern. Water incursion would only occur where the teak is screwed into the wall /gel coat and then only if they did not silicone the screws when putting them in.
I do not know for sure if the walls are cored or not. You could always take some small core samples before tearing off the teak.
I would say the black on the teak is mold.
How long did the water set there.

 Someone else may be more familiar with the wall/bulkhead construction than I am.

I hope this helps in some way.
Larry
Boatless
Sent from my iPhone
<5595719_20160112133309879_1_XLARGE.jpg>

John K.

May 13, 2018, 12:07:06 PM5/13/18
to caborico
Hi Larry - Thanks for sharing your experience with a similar matter, and hope you are correct with the discoloration attributed to mold. I spoke with Fraser at CR, and he confirmed the bulkheads are all marine grade plywood, and could endure this kind of abuse for some time before getting compromised. No promises of course, and this will be one of the first areas I explore with a few core samples, and a plan to cover the base with a thin panel for aesthetics if everything checks out OK. How did you rectify your floor problem? I have the same issue, but think I can strip and refinish for now. If floor needs replacement, that may be a future project (as long as it is dry), as I will have my hands full with many other more critical projects, and the cabin sole is not structural.

Thanks for your feedback!
John

LB Home

May 13, 2018, 1:42:14 PM5/13/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
John,

I hope Fraser is right.

I pulled up the bucked sections. I had to trim the tung art off to refit.  With the swelling and floor being raised it would not fit back together.

After stripping sanding and bleaching the wood bring the light colored holy back did not work very well. Tried a number of other suggestions with little success. One suggestion was to rout out the holy and put in new.  I didn't go that far.

Best
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

John K.

May 15, 2018, 5:03:11 PM5/15/18
to caborico
I had someone at the yard go in and inspect the bulkhead in the worst looking areas. He attempted to press a screwdriver flathead into the base of the wall, and the wood was solid and impenetrable! So I got that going for me....   Attached a couple of photos he took. My hope remains this will be a major refinishing job, but not a surgical job. Will know more after I remove the trim and start sanding, which I'll get to in the next month.
IMG_2581.jpg
IMG_2579.jpg