Water Heater Placement

Robert Benner

Feb 28, 2018, 1:09:28 PM2/28/18
to Thierry Danz
Our thirty three year old water heater needs replacing.

Ours is one of the square Atlantic Marine units installed under the sink.

It would be nice to reclaim some of that real estate but there are not too many obvious alternate locations.  At least none of the spots we have considered, under the diesel, behind the two shoulders on the starboard side of the lazarette, etc, seem to be without problems.

Has anyone moved their tank successfully, or found their boat with the hot water tank already installed in an unobtrusive spot?

Bob Benner
Connie Van Bussel
Meredith

Dave McGinnis

Feb 28, 2018, 4:29:02 PM2/28/18
to Caborico
On our 1988 38 XL, the water heater is in the cockpit locker.

Regards,

Dave McGinnis
Manager and Senior Captain
Traverse Tall Ship Company, LLC

Looking for a terrific vacation rental? Check out "Schooner House"!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

While in Traverse City, check out Traverse City Tours for wine tasting tours and much more! Top notch service at reasonable prices.  Go to:  http://www.traversecitytours.com/

Bill Jones

Feb 28, 2018, 7:58:09 PM2/28/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Mine is in the port side cockpit locker up against the bulkhead with the sink being on the opposite of the bulkhead.  It works great here.  I am replacing mine as we speak for the second or third time.
Bill
Camelot

Thierry Danz

Feb 28, 2018, 10:10:17 PM2/28/18
to Cabo Rico Group
When I had a 38 (#119) I moved the water heater from the locker under the sink to a space behind the engine. If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago), there was an shelf that was no longer used. The water heater fit there perfectly. The only issue was that the top of the heater was now higher than the engine, which meant that I had to bleed the coolant system every time I changed coolant. It was before we had smart phones or digital cameras, so I don't have pictures.

Thierry

Robert Benner

Mar 1, 2018, 7:24:11 AM3/1/18
to Thierry Danz
Well that certainly caused a lot of work.  With three very similar suggestions in hand we emptied the aft lazarette and started muddling it over.  Some people "mull" things over but on Meredith we try to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Questions:

1.  Thierry: Did your 38 have a shelf intalled over the bilge and under the drive shaft?  Ours does not but looking at it, after 15 years, we see that if nothing else it would hide all that ugliness.

2. Bill: Sorry for your bad luck with those expensive water heaters.  Your suggestion looks most likely at the moment.  Have you had issues keeping the cooling system free of air and running efficiently?  When we installed the Beta the mechanic was very concerned even with plumbing into the under sink location.

3. Dave: We assume by cockpit locker you are referring to the shallow locker under the starboard bench.  Currently this space is occupied by liferaft but there is no reason we could not relocate that.  Again height above the diesel is an issue.  Perhaps we misunderstand the term "cockpit locker".  If we may ask, what brand heater do you use?

Thanks to everyone for all the extra work.  It was appreciated.

Bob and Connie
Meredith

Dave McGinnis

Mar 1, 2018, 7:46:45 AM3/1/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Our boat has a locker under the port side cockpit bench. The heater sits on a fabricated fiberglass box/shelf at the forward inboard side of the locker opening. I’ll look and see what pictures I have.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/caborico.
Regards,

Dave McGinnis
Manager and Senior Captain
Traverse Tall Ship Company, LLC

Looking for a terrific vacation rental? Check out "Schooner House"!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

While in Traverse City, check out Traverse City Tours for wine tasting tours and much more! Top notch service at reasonable prices.  Go to:  http://www.traversecitytours.com/

Robert Benner

Mar 1, 2018, 7:54:50 AM3/1/18
to Thierry Danz
Dave

That sounds pretty much what Bill Jones described.  On our boat that space has been taken up by the fuel filter and water strainer, both installed by the guy who replaced the Beta.

I have hated the loss of that space ever sin.  If you have a photo it would be of benefit but I think I have the idea.  It will give me great pleasure to rip those filters off the bulkhead and relocate them.

Thanks again.

Bob

[...]

GARBOARD

Mar 1, 2018, 9:07:05 AM3/1/18
to caborico
Bob:
I had the same thoughts on my 38 #150.  It is an offshore interior design and the water heater was a square Seward / Whale 6 gallon unit under the sink. My galley sink is just to the port side of the companionway facing aft.  The original unit leaked, it had a stainless jacket and and aluminum boiler tank.  I replaced it with a Webasto Isotemp 15 liter unit. I also replaced the mounting board with 1/2" Starboard.  I really like it and its a good bit smaller.  The Isotemp has a 316 S/S boiler and can be had with a S/S exterior or polymer exterior for less money, same innards. It can be ordered in 120 or 220 volt and a couple different wattages.  It has a stainless adjustable mixing valve that allows you to blend the hot water being delivered with cold water to increase the capacity and get the water to a comfortable temp.  I believe the unit heats to about 88C. Webasto also makes a flat rectangular unit worth looking at that would really save space. The 15 L round heater engine coolant hoses exactly matched the existing holes the C/R factory had cut into the engine port side bulkhead so no issues with plumbing or worries about an air lock. See:  https://www.webasto.com/us/markets-products/marine/heating-solutions/water-stations-boilers/isotemp-boilers/
If you like I can email you a pic of the installed unit, let me know ?
Brian

Thierry Danz

Mar 1, 2018, 9:48:53 AM3/1/18
to Cabo Rico Group
Bob.

I don't remember exactly. It was at least 16 years ago that I moved the water heater and I sold the boat two years later. The shelf was behind the engine and over the prop shaft, but a little to starboard. It was accessible from the port cockpit locker. The shelf may have served another purpose originally, but was empty when I bought the boat. I don't think it interfered with the access to the prop shaft and stuffing box. Perhaps Oleg, her current owner, if he is still on this list, may be able to give you more info.

Thierry

Dan - Windweaver

Mar 1, 2018, 11:04:57 AM3/1/18
to caborico
Hi,

On Windweaver (CR 38 #66) we relocated the hot water tank from under the sink to the port lazarette right aft of the sink bulkhead.  We used an 11 gallon round tank  (Isotemp) which just fit through the hatch.  It's on its own platform fitting crossways against the bulkhead.  Makes pipe runs short and also easy piping to engine.

Good luck,
Betsy and Dan

Oleh and Natalka

Mar 1, 2018, 6:26:11 PM3/1/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Since Therry put me on the spot, I will be visiting my boat next week and will take some pictures so you can see where Therry placed the water heater.

Robert Benner

Mar 2, 2018, 8:19:41 AM3/2/18
to Thierry Danz
One picturre each from the three main alternatives: Brian, Dave/Bill and Oleh would be appreciated and I would make sure Mickey or Thierry got them to add to the archives.

Seems the "bulkhead behind the sink" idea holds sway with by far most owners opting to liberate their undersink cubboard.  However Brian's solution is easiest by a long shot.  Pictures will help.

Thanks to all for the comments.  Now to get to work before the rust on the existing unit fails to hold the fittings any longer.

Bob and Connie
Meredith

On Mar 1, 2018, at 11:04 AM, Dan - Windweaver <dcg....@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Verizon1

Mar 2, 2018, 8:21:02 AM3/2/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Oh. You will? Huh.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave McGinnis

Mar 2, 2018, 4:32:27 PM3/2/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Here you go!

GARBOARD

Mar 3, 2018, 8:58:27 AM3/3/18
to caborico
I will find a good pic and send it tonight Bob. Need to get on my computer. Boat is stored for winter.
Brian

Robert Benner

Mar 4, 2018, 9:00:53 AM3/4/18
to Thierry Danz
Dave

Thanks for these.  As always other people's Cabo Ricos leave me feeling substandard in my approach to maintenance.  If the rest of your boat is as clean and bright as that locker, (Honestly who serves breakfast in their aft locker?) you have impressed me.

It has come to my attention that emails to and from US IP addresses is suffering lag.  We are in Bahamas.  Incoming emails from the US seem to be delayed by hours.  Most of what we posted yesterday has not been delivered.  This might be Google, Bahamas (Batelco)  or US in origin but posts to Canadian, British and Swedish IPs have not suffered similar delay.

I have invoked my VPN with a US location to try to circumvent the blockage.

Bob

On Mar 2, 2018 16:32, "Dave McGinnis" <da...@tallshipsailing.com> wrote:
Here you go!

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 08:21 Verizon1 <onb...@verizon.net> wrote:
Oh. You will? Huh.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2018, at 6:26 PM, Oleh and Natalka <onb...@verizon.net> wrote:

[...]

Dave McGinnis

Robert Benner

Mar 4, 2018, 12:41:04 PM3/4/18
to Thierry Danz
Dave

I hear you on  that.  Our daughter lives in Thunderbay, even norther than you.  You guys have suffered this winter.  All those - 45 C nights.

I remember when a Florida CR owner commented on the site that she had no idea why a Cabo needed a shower anyway.  Sitting up in Canada, but south of you, I pretty much knew the answer.  No cockpit showers either 'cause of the cold ... or the bugs.

Thanks again.

Bob

[...]

GARBOARD

Mar 4, 2018, 3:24:44 PM3/4/18
to caborico
Bob:
I sent pics to your email yesterday.  Not sure if you got them ?  I have two emails for you, not sure which is correct.  Skipperbob99 and Skipperbob / which should I use ?  Here are the water heater pics. The clear water hose on the engine coolant nippes in the pics was stubs, cut just for alignment to the holes. Good luck on your project.
Brian
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Robert Benner

Mar 4, 2018, 4:11:44 PM3/4/18
to Thierry Danz
Brian

You are one of the evidences that my emails to US are being blocked.  I have replied to both and this morning I resent the first response.  Most of the outgoing email seems to make it to US today, at least this afternoon but there is something wrong somewhere.

The problem is just with the USA or I would blame Batelco.    That company is astonishing though so I hate to assign it blame.

Maybe yours will filter through in the fullness of time.  I will check again tomorrow.

The pictures paint a compelling picture too.  Once again my own maintenance and construction skills are put in their proper place.  I am going to have to step up my game to keep pace with you and Dave.

Bob and Connie
Meredith

Bob