Water on cabin floor - ideas?

Alan B

Jan 28, 2016, 10:55:22 AM1/28/16
to caborico
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been dealt with before. I did a search of the archives and couldn't find this specific issue.

When rainwater comes down the mast on our CR38 (in the mast itself, not around the boot), most drains into the bilge, but some runs onto the top of what I think is the center water tank and seeps up around the cover plate that gives access to the tank cleanout. As a result, when it rains we always have a little puddle of water on the floor around the edge of that cover plate. To provide a little more information, this is a 9x9" wooden panel that's inset in the sole near the mast step. Anyone else seen this...devised a solution? Much thanks.

Alan
CR38, hull #123 Stella Maris

Clay

Jan 28, 2016, 11:49:46 AM1/28/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
If it's like a CR34 which ours mast sits on a base step plate...the drain holes where plugged causing some water seepage onto the cabin sole. After pulling our step plate out and had it powder coated the drain holes where enlarged so no dirt and grime could cause future issues..

Sent from my iPad

Dave Newberg

Jan 28, 2016, 12:49:29 PM1/28/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Although it may be a different configuration than the 38, we also had the same water collection/overflow issue that Clay spoke of on our 34s mast step plate. If you have an idea where the drain holes are in the plate, you can clean them out from underneath with something like a piece of stiff wire.

I’m including a photo - not sure if it will remain attached.

Dave

LB Home

Jan 28, 2016, 7:30:21 PM1/28/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
On our 1984 CR38 the mast step has a drain. This connects to a channel in the floor that goes to the bilge via a hole under the table.
The channel channel needs to be kept clean. Darlene bought a bottle brush with a long handle to clean it out occasionally.
I also removed the table. Let the wood channel dry. Lightly sanded and finished with clear epoxy finish. This helps keep things from sticking and clogging up the channel.
If the boat is on the hard it is important to make sure the yard sets the boat with about a 1/2 or more of a bubble on the level sloping aft. This allows the water from the mast to drain aft.
Larry
Venteux.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 28, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Dave Newberg <sv.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Although it may be a different configuration than the 38, we also had the same water collection/overflow issue that Clay spoke of on our 34s mast step plate. If you have an idea where the drain holes are in the plate, you can clean them out from underneath with something like a piece of stiff wire.

I’m including a photo - not sure if it will remain attached.

Dave

<DSC03891.jpeg>