Ruller furling for Inner stay sail.

S/V Oceanghost

Apr 21, 2017, 7:16:55 AM4/21/17
to caborico
We have decided to put our storm jib on a roller furling. We can use the extra space on deck and we feel like its a safer alternative for us.
What roller furling are you guys using? Do you like it?   As always pictures please...

Thanks Dan.

S/V Oceanghost

Apr 21, 2017, 7:17:38 AM4/21/17
to caborico
Roller not ruller..lol

cab...@aol.com

Apr 21, 2017, 2:19:19 PM4/21/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, oceang...@gmail.com

I  had one, took it off in favor of boomkin and hanked on.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

Jarrett & Shelly Blair s/v Morningstar

Jun 5, 2017, 6:34:32 PM6/5/17
to caborico

Dan, here are the pics from our boat.  Chip Puhl, the previous owner, did this set up.  I am thinking off the top of my head it might be a Pro Furl- but not positive.

Thanks,
Shelly
s/v Morning Star

IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2065.JPG

LDCB...@aol.com

Jun 5, 2017, 6:57:51 PM6/5/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Did he shorten the staysail? From my memory it extends farther back than the blocks in the picture.

Larry

Jarrett & Shelly Blair s/v Morningstar

Jun 6, 2017, 11:08:32 AM6/6/17
to caborico
Larry,

Chip says he did not have to shorten the sail.  Original sail and pad eye location on deck for staysail sheet blocks which leads to cockpit for control. Pro Furl lines thru double furling blocks to cockpit for easy sail trim.  This makes for a much nicer fore deck area without the staysail boom.

Shelly

LDCB...@aol.com

Jun 6, 2017, 12:42:26 PM6/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thx Shelly,

I had those pads on our 1984 CR. Always wondered if they would give the proper sheeting angle if configured that way

Larry

Garrett

Jun 6, 2017, 2:44:32 PM6/6/17
to caborico
Staysail roller furling, w boom. Used often to Cuba , Mexico etc. I use the staysail for heavy winds. Balances the boat nicely. It gets sporty in the loop current (both ways) and when crossing the Fl straights w easterly wind. Pics if desired.
S/V I Believe
CR 38 #164

S/V Oceanghost

Jun 6, 2017, 2:54:46 PM6/6/17
to caborico
Thanks for the pictures and information.

S/V Oceanghost

Jun 6, 2017, 2:56:58 PM6/6/17
to caborico
I would love to see pics if you have them handy. I know about the great loop, it gets pretty sporty through there..what are the specs on the furling gear. I.e. Make, brand etc.. thanks Dan.

Tom Fuhs

Jun 6, 2017, 3:04:01 PM6/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in how the sheet is rigged with the staysail on a roller.  Does the sheet go through the same multi-part block as normal, but instead of ending at a becket on a block, does it go up over the boom and then to the clew?  How is it routed?  Some pics would indeed be helpful.  I've been thinking about putting the staysail on a roller, but I don't think I want to get rid of the boom for multiple reasons.  I like the self tacking aspect and I really like no tracks or blocks on the side decks.  I have staysail sheet tracks/blocks on our Bayfield 32 and my little toe *REALLY* hates them.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 2:56 PM, S/V Oceanghost <oceang...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would love to see pics if you have them handy. I know about the great loop, it gets pretty sporty through there..what are the specs on the furling gear. I.e. Make, brand etc.. thanks Dan.

cab...@aol.com

Jun 6, 2017, 11:55:27 PM6/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I removed the roller furling on the staysail and went with hanked on. I will be ordering a new staysail with a reef as soon as I get the new Yankee on.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

petesown66

Jun 7, 2017, 8:08:27 AM6/7/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Garrett

Would love to see pics of how you set up the furler - specifically how you mount the boom

Pieter

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Garrett

Jun 7, 2017, 2:18:13 PM6/7/17
to caborico

Garrett

Jun 7, 2017, 2:23:07 PM6/7/17
to caborico
Hope these help.

Garrett

Jun 7, 2017, 2:28:06 PM6/7/17
to caborico
IMG_2047.jpg
IMG_2049.jpg
IMG_2048.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg

Tom Fuhs

Jun 7, 2017, 2:59:30 PM6/7/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pics.  It makes more sense now.  It looks like you have one line for an out haul for the staysail, and a separate sheet.  It also looks like they both go back to the cockpit.

I also noticed that you have control lines and blocks for the staysail traveler, however it appears they don't lead back to the cockpit as I think i see  cam cleats for the control lines on the traveler.  Do you find you need to adjust the staysail traveler after tacking, or do you mostly leave it centered?  If the traveler needs to be adjusted, you still need to go forward, and that seems to negate having the staysail on a furler.  Am I missing something?

Garrett

Jun 7, 2017, 3:15:06 PM6/7/17
to caborico
Correct, all lines come back to the cockpit. Traveler would have to be adjusted going forward but, I leave the traveler centerline. Very convenient setup by P.O.