Cabin top hardware attachment

Thierry Danz

Feb 25, 2018, 10:59:59 AM2/25/18
to Cabo Rico Group
Geoff,

At least some of the hardware on the deck of my 2003 CR42 is not through bolted. I believe there is an aluminum (?) plate enclosed inside the deck laminate into which bolts are threaded. I used to have boom gallows and I could remove and re-install its bolts without having to open up the headliner. I would expect the hand rails to be fastened in a similar manner. Before I would open the headliner I would just try to remove one bolt of the handrails and see what happens.

Thierry

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Geoffrey Ferrell <ge...@ferrell-madden.com> wrote:
Thank you,  looks like it is time to take a look at the headliner. I had my fingers crossed for imbedded stainless plates. I'll let you all know if I am pleasantly surprised.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network
Sent: February 25, 2018 1:44 AM
Subject: [caborico] Digest for cabo...@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

          mickey <svb...@gmail.com>: Feb 24 01:33PM -0800

Geoff, I'm not sure what year your boat is, but on my boat (#30), the fore-
and aft-most attachments of the handrail are through-bolted, which would
imply removing the headliner at least in those places.

mickey

Geoffrey Ferrell

May 3, 2018, 10:00:30 AM5/3/18
to caborico
"i found out" - for the pilothouse, the aft-ends of the cabin top handholds are screwed. pun intended, because they are more or less right in line with the back wall of the pilothouse - so there is no way for them to be through bolted.  Their attaching-area has to be accessed from above (barring major illogical destruction).

So the (admittedly not quite first-rate) repair was to refill the screw hole with epoxy, and use an increment longer screw.  I bedded that end in butyl. If there are problems in the future i'll need to take the whole handrails off and do it all 'right' by removing some core around the holes...

Geoff
new owner of a rocna vulcan 44

Thierry