Looking for a Northeast 400

ben green

Jul 15, 2013, 10:33:45 PM7/15/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm new to this group and a wanna-be Cabo Rico owner. I'm looking for a Northeast 400 that has the settee in the den that converts to a berth (for my son). My family has outgrown our Cape Dory 300M.  If anyone has any leads please contact me at 914-734-2277.

Thanks,

Ben

Norris Palmer

Jul 16, 2013, 12:51:10 PM7/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
check out yachtworld. there are a few left.

ben green

Jul 16, 2013, 6:38:02 PM7/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Norris. I know the boats on yachtworld. The older boat doesn't have the den configured with the fold out settee and has an aero rig which I'm not interested in. The 2001 is simply way overpriced and the owner wont negotiate, been on the market for many years. The last 4 or 5 boats have sold in the mid $150k's with an 05 selling for $256,000.

Thierry Danz

Jul 16, 2013, 11:08:16 PM7/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

You may want to contact Kevin Bray at Jordan Yachts in Ft Lauderdale (ke...@jordanyachts.com). He used to work for Cabo Rico and has still many contacts with owners of later boats.

Jul 17, 2013, 11:02:05 AM7/17/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, Thierry Danz
Thank you Thierry! I spoke to Kevin this morning and he's making calls on my behalf.

Norris Palmer

Jul 18, 2013, 12:01:44 PM7/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have never had a more comfortable cruiser/sailboat in my life

I bought Aleki in 5 minutes after boarding her.

I have not been dissapointed yet in any of her abilities or layout.

All of the wiring, plumbing, Reefer, sinks, showers, head, everything was so thought out
Its the first boat I have had that you can actually get anywhere around the engine, drive shaft, lazeretts, to service the auto pilot, helm, they even put lights in the engine room and lazeretts.

It is not your standard deep dark sailboat but rather a floating staging area to see the world from the water.

There won't be many for sale left so go for it.

These boats are easily worth 250K.
Thank you Thierry! I spoke to Kevin this morning and he's making calls on my behalf.

Keith Laker

Apr 5, 2016, 2:40:21 PM4/5/16
to caborico
Hi Ben,

I trust all is well with you.  I know this is an old thread,  but I didn't know how else to reach you (and that's assuming you still monitor this group)

Carol Jacobsen would very much like to contact you to invite you in to the NE400 group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ne400).  There has just been a discussion on rig height and as I recall you bought the one boat with a double-spreader rig,  which I once saw in Vineyard Haven.  Anyway - you may care to make contact with Carol:  it's proven a useful group thus far.

Keep well - I hope you are enjoying that boat!

Keith

'Briez'
NE400/14

George Smith

Apr 5, 2016, 9:44:10 PM4/5/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Hello all.
FYI
Greetings from S/V Fathom This.
Our home is Nantucket, MA.
The NE 400 in Vineyard Haven, MA. was Yankee Doodle a Cabo NE 400.
We have known of it for years. It has the only Hood spar rig. Not one of our Metal Mast  screwed up Schaefer in-mast systems.
It also has structural partitions mid way on the port and starboard Windows.
Hood Yachts made a knock off of the Ne400 called the Expedition. I saw one in Bermuda about 5 years ago that had it's starboard side windows blown out by leaving too soon in weather.
We doubled up our windows for the passage south with lexan and may be the only NE 400 with a staysail and running backs. .
On the way down thee years ago we encountered 18' seas and 40 kts. No problems.
Life is good in Martinique.
George & June
S/V Fathom This
NE 400 #19

Ben Green

May 22, 2016, 10:32:50 AM5/22/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. I got your email while on vacation, opened it and it went into the dreaded "old mail" box. Yes, I shall join the NE400 group and thank you for the invite.

I absolutely love the boat. Made lots of upgrades and she's been running quite well although I've had problems with the water tanks. Had to pull the starboard one last year and port this past week for rot holes on the welds. If they leak again I will replace with plastic.

Best,

Ben

Keith Laker

May 27, 2016, 3:01:23 AM5/27/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

No apology needed - I’m glad you found the invitation.  It’s a friendly group and useful source of advice.

Good to hear you are enjoying the boat.  Sad to say I think pinhole leaks on the water tank welds are not uncommon.  I think it demonstrated a lack of experience &/or poor choice of materials when fabricating SS tanks by Cabo Rico.   Fortunately the fuel tanks seem to hold up better (less corrosion obviously).

Best wishes and happy sailing.

Keith

‘Briez'
NE400/14

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Keith Laker

Jul 25, 2016, 3:43:53 AM7/25/16
to caborico
Hi Ben,

Just to let you know that Carol Jacobsen is still keen to add you as a member to the NE400 group detailed below.  I have promised nothing - but you may find it a useful forum :-)

I hope all is continues to go well with you.

Best,

Keith

'Briez'
NE400-14

Ben Green

Aug 22, 2016, 2:14:12 PM8/22/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kieth,

I would very much like to join the group but cannot join without being invited. Do you know how to go about this process?

Thanks!

Norris Palmer

Aug 22, 2016, 2:23:52 PM8/22/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com