Staysail Clubfoot to Roller Considerations

Alex Tarlecky

Jan 12, 2016, 1:00:50 AM1/12/16
to caborico
Folks,

If anyone has converted their clubfooted hank on staysail to a roller furler unit I would be very interested in hearing about any considerations you made when doing so.

We are thinking of removing the boom:

1) going on the foredeck is very dangerous in bad weather and we would rather not have to do it.
2) the boom is heavy and adds weight forward of the mast.
3) would not need a sail cover, sail ties, etc.
4) would have more room to move about the deck
5) would have more dinghy storage

Thanks,

Alex

LDCB...@aol.com

Jan 12, 2016, 4:27:20 PM1/12/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
There has been a lot of discussion concerning this. I removed ours but have yet to install the sail track. Some have installed it on the deck house which reportedly did not work for the sheeting angles.

The over all conclusion was the track should be amid ships on the deck to properly sheet the staysail. My only issue with that is you create a big toe stumper.

We use the staysail very little but we are not cruising full time. I think there should be a number of pictures posted on the site to give you an idea.

I agree with all your observations for removing the foot.

Larry B
Venteux.

Pete Smith

Jan 17, 2016, 10:28:16 AM1/17/16
to caborico

I dont think it's a good idea to remove the boom, but I really would like the convenience of a furler.
I am thinking of a set-up to add a furler, while still keeping the boom - thus keeping the self tacking, negating the need to add new sail track and the associated extra sheets.

Just to prove that nothing is new, I was walking the docks recently and came across a CR38 pilot house with this arrangement.
I plan to do the same, but in carbon. When the sail is furled, the boom will be pulled right up, out of the way, and the carbon will mostly address the weight issue you mention.

Pete

LDCB...@aol.com

Jan 17, 2016, 10:48:47 AM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

In a message dated 1/17/2016 10:28:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, petes...@gmail.com writes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sudit56YPsY/VpuyncE_WTI/AAAAAAAAAEE/vrvd3wuKRyY/s1600/furled+staysail.jpg

LDCB...@aol.com

Jan 17, 2016, 11:04:06 AM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Pete,

I would be interested to see how the boom is pulled up out of the way. I looked into this on our boat and with the cut of the staysail it would not pull the boom up against the furling and out of the way. Can't do it with the topping lift either.

If you have a picture of the rest of the boom I would interested to see it.

Larry B
Venteux

kgor...@hotmail.com

Jan 17, 2016, 11:07:39 AM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

I have roller furling stay sail my boom has a bracket on coach roof when sail is furled when i haul my dinghy on front deck i just push boom over to one side or the other and tie off to life lines KG

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Jan 17, 2016, 11:08:59 AM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Here is a picture someone posted a long time ago. The upright post is there but no boom. Interesting lead to the boom track and a block.
Larry

kgor...@hotmail.com

Jan 17, 2016, 11:13:25 AM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

My sheet goes thru a block at end of boom then forward to another block then back to cockpit. So all i do is unpin my boom from coach roof and release my furling line then pull my sheet the boom comes up off roof as i unfurl sail all from cockpitKG

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Ok So the boom is resting on the deck? Not being held vertically be the staysail.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 17, 2016, at 11:13 AM, kgor...@hotmail.com <kgor...@hotmail.com> wrote:

My sheet goes thru a block at end of boom then forward to another block then back to cockpit. So all i do is unpin my boom from coach roof and release my furling line then pull my sheet the boom comes up off roof as i unfurl sail all from cockpitKG

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Here is a picture someone posted a long time ago. The upright post is there but no boom. Interesting lead to the boom track and a block.
Larry

a <CR%20Staysail%20Rig.jpg>

kgor...@hotmail.com

Jan 17, 2016, 1:35:47 PM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Thats correct

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Jan 17, 2016, 5:12:25 PM1/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ah ok thx
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

S/V Oceanghost

Jan 18, 2016, 4:19:10 AM1/18/16
to caborico
I removed the boom from my CR38 as well. I went with a hank on storm sail that i keep in the bag. As far as not ever gong forward, i would not count on that. I would suggest getting comfortable working on deck when the wind pipes up. Good luck in your search.

Alex Tarlecky

Jan 18, 2016, 11:35:02 AM1/18/16
to caborico
It was never my intention to "not ever" go forward. I am perfectly comfortable there but there are many times you simply do not want to go forward - I don't care how experienced you are.

I was thinking an interesting prospect would be double up the usage of the whisker pole so that it is "stored" as the staysail boom for a roller furler config and then can be detached and used as the whisker pole like normal.

LB Home

Jan 18, 2016, 12:58:15 PM1/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I agree and if you are down to using the staysail it is likely sea conditions are not the best.
Also I have no issue with going forward either. But at 66 years old if I can say anything I can do from the cockpit in rough weather is welcome.
Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

petes...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2016, 1:40:30 PM1/18/16
to LDCBARKER via caborico

Larry

Unfortunately I never took a picture of the entire set-up.

With set-up in the picture it looks to me that it would be possible to lift the boom with a topping lift to close to parallel to the fueled sail.

With my current standard set-up (banked on sail stacked and tied to the boom) I can lift the boom quite a bit before the sail gets in the way. I would think that if the sail is fueled on the stay it would allow for much further lifting.

Why are you saying that it can't be done with a topping lift?

Pete

Sent from my LG G4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

petes...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2016, 1:40:34 PM1/18/16
to Alex Tarlecky, caborico

Alex

I like your idea with this. It is not yet a priority, but when I do get to changing my setup to furling with a boom (in carbon) the idea of making it dual-use (boom / whisker pole) is very interesting.

Thanks.

As far

Sent from my LG G4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

SM

Jan 18, 2016, 1:48:19 PM1/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We're planning to keep the boom but are considering adding a furler- maybe along the the lines of what our friends did on their CSY44:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "caborico" group.

LB Home

Jan 18, 2016, 3:39:04 PM1/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Pete
Ok NP not a priority @ 10 deg above zero in Ohio.
😜

Sent from my iPhone

petes...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2016, 4:35:26 PM1/18/16
to 'LB Home' via caborico

Glad I'm in Orlando - a "chilly" 48 degrees this morning....

Pete

Sent from my LG G4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Jan 18, 2016, 7:09:33 PM1/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
The Canadians are wearing shorts and locals in their parkas.  I can see it now.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone