Companion way steps refinishing

Thierry Danz

Feb 25, 2018, 11:11:54 AM2/25/18
to caborico
The companion way steps on my 2003 CR42 need refinishing. I intend to sand down the steps to bare wood and refinish with multiple coats of high gloss varnish, followed by a few coats of satin finish. Then the grooved part of the steps need some sort of non-skid. Has anybody any experience with this, and what would you recommend as an effective non-skid finish?

Thierry
CR 42 # 12
Philadelphia, PA

Percival W Herman

Feb 25, 2018, 1:43:04 PM2/25/18
to caborico
Curious to see how it turns out as we need to do the same thing.  Looking through my notes, I see Fabulon as a product for the cabin sole & steps and also Ultimate Sole as an alternative.  I also noted "can't find" behind the latter so it may no longer be available.  Not sure where I got this information but it was probably in another thread here.

Dave Newberg

Feb 25, 2018, 8:41:18 PM2/25/18
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Here is a response I received from a Cabo Rico insider to an inquiry I made in 2006 regarding the interior finish.

“ . . . the finish was most likely a product called Surlac. A very good substitute is Fabulon which you should be able to order through Sherwin Williams.

Cheers
Dave