CR34 Windlass

Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin

Mar 20, 2015, 10:14:24 AM3/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Our CR34 has a manual Muir horizontal windlass that services the port side anchor roller. I'd like to add an electric vertical windlass (Maxwell RC8-8) for the starboard side and what will be the primary anchor. Today the rode locker is partitioned in fore and aft compartments, with the manual windlass depositing the rode in the aft compartment towards the port side. I'd like to re-partition the locker so there are port and starboard sides, and install the new windlass to deposit rode on the starboard side. What are you other CR34 owners using for windlasses? Any thoughts on the port and starboard partitioning? Thanks.

Ron

Clay

Mar 20, 2015, 12:18:14 PM3/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,
We have a Lofrins 'Tigress' but mainly use the on-deck anchor well. My question is your rode all chain or all rope?

Clay
S/V Tango

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 20, 2015, at 10:14 AM, Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin <montana.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

Our CR34 has a manual Muir horizontal windlass that services the port side anchor roller. I'd like to add an electric vertical windlass (Maxwell RC8-8) for the starboard side and what will be the primary anchor. Today the rode locker is partitioned in fore and aft compartments, with the manual windlass depositing the rode in the aft compartment towards the port side. I'd like to re-partition the locker so there are port and starboard sides, and install the new windlass to deposit rode on the starboard side. What are you other CR34 owners using for windlasses? Any thoughts on the port and starboard partitioning? Thanks.

Ron

Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin

Mar 20, 2015, 12:26:26 PM3/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Clay - The existing anchor rode, which will be used with our manual windlass and the back up anchor, is about 40' of chain and then rope. The primary anchor & the electric windlass will most likely be 200' 5/16HT + rope.

Dave Newberg

Mar 20, 2015, 1:37:37 PM3/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We have an ABI horizontal manual windlass serving the starboard roller and chain locker pipe. Bruce 44# on 100’ chain and 200’ rope. Because of the low gearing the windlass is only good for is breaking the anchor free. Keeps our backs in shape . . . ugh.
Port side is 20’ chain and 250’ rope. The fore and aft division on chain locker works for our situation because it puts the heavy chain further aft.
Electric windlass would be nice but other things keep pushing it below the top of our wish list.

Cheers
Dave