Throttle Cable

S/V Oceanghost

Jun 11, 2016, 11:22:07 AM6/11/16
to caborico
My throttle cable is almost warn out. It works if i hold the throttle lever but backs off it i let go. Has anyone replaced there cable. any information is appreciated. Ive tried adjusting it with no success.

Ron Acierno

Jun 11, 2016, 11:40:04 AM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
A relatively easy job if you can contort well over the motor. I suggest doing the tranny cable at the same time. To clarify : the work is relatively simple the contortions are virtually impossible.

Ron Acierno, PhD
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Medical University of South Carolina
College of Nursing, Room 500
99 Jonathan Lucas St.    MSC 160
Charleston SC 29425-1600

P: (843) 792-2949
F: (843) 792-1741
acierno@musc.edu
http://www.musc.edu/nursing

MUSC Nurses Change Lives!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 11, 2016, at 11:22 AM, S/V Oceanghost <oceang...@gmail.com> wrote:

My throttle cable is almost warn out. It works if i hold the throttle lever but backs off it i let go. Has anyone replaced there cable. any information is appreciated. Ive tried adjusting it with no success.

LB Home

Jun 11, 2016, 12:46:24 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I concur.

Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Sanders

Jun 11, 2016, 12:57:15 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ron, would you recommend a place to get the trans and throttle cables?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Mark Twain.

curtis hoffman

Jun 11, 2016, 1:19:52 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
There is an easy way btw. There is a little gadget that clamps onto the throttle cable. It puts a tiny kink in the cable to provide friction and is adjustable. A couple of dollars and home free. Also my son bought MA an adapter to force oil down the cable to lube it. I'll try and find it and take a photo of it.

Sent from my iPhone

curtis hoffman

Jun 11, 2016, 1:53:20 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
image1.png

Sent from my iPhone

Ron Acierno

Bill Jones

Jun 11, 2016, 4:04:28 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I replaced mine several years ago. It was so bad that I could hardly move the throttle.  I experienced the same thing with the transmission cable.  The new cables are amazing.  They work effortlessly .  I pulled the cables out, measured the lengths and purchased new ones at West Marine.

Bill

Bill Jones
Lic# 01213909
Elite Realty Services
2787 Moorpark Ave.
San Jose CA 95128

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:22 AM, S/V Oceanghost <oceang...@gmail.com> wrote:

My throttle cable is almost warn out. It works if i hold the throttle lever but backs off it i let go. Has anyone replaced there cable. any information is appreciated. Ive tried adjusting it with no success.

LB Home

Jun 11, 2016, 4:05:47 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Do both at the same time.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

cab...@aol.com

Jun 11, 2016, 6:34:42 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

I bought mine at a auto parts store.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

Daniel Sanders

Jun 11, 2016, 8:45:00 PM6/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
As always, great information. Now i have a platform of info to start with.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

Dick Roten

Jun 13, 2016, 9:08:14 AM6/13/16
to caborico

I recall that your auto pilot didn't work on your first trip when you picked up the boat.  Did you repair or replace?  If so, with what?  How does she work now?

Daniel Sanders

Jun 13, 2016, 9:30:15 AM6/13/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Correct, the original autopilot broke mid stride crossing the Gulf of Mexico. The problem with the old one was that it was very old and undersized. I replaced the Raymarine Type 1 linear drive, ACU 200 and fluxgate compass with the new Raymarine type 2 thats rated to 33,000 lbs as opposed to 21,000 (type 1). Also upgrade to the new ACU 400 course computer and a EV1 sensor core digital compass. The old ACU would not work with the new linear drive so i was forced to replace everything. The new auto pilot works great. We are very happy with it so far.

Alex Tarlecky

Jun 13, 2016, 10:33:06 AM6/13/16
to caborico
I agree to start out with the friction clamp... you should already have one installed. It is usually located on the throttle cable about 1 or 2 feet from the engine. It on takes a 1/4 turn of the nut to tighten things up. We installed new throttle and transmission cables after having one break when pulling into a slip! We also keep one extra set on board in case we are in the middle of the Bahamas and lose one - they don't take up much room. We use teleflex cables. If you look on the side of your existing cables you will see a part number. Call Teleflex with that number and they will match the a new cable for you. For me, the 9 foot length was good enough.

Also, Teleflex does NOT recommend oiling your cables. They are "sealed" - I guess not all cables are equal designs.

- alex

Alex Tarlecky

Jun 13, 2016, 10:34:18 AM6/13/16
to caborico
I would add, our cable broke at the friction clamp... so its probably a good idea to just replace the cable anyhow.

Daniel Sanders

Jun 13, 2016, 11:02:28 AM6/13/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex, all good information. Im a firm believer in spares. (2 is 1 and 1 is none when things break).

Richard Roten

Jun 13, 2016, 11:49:05 AM6/13/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thx. What was the cost if you don't mind sharing that

-RCR

Daniel Sanders

Jun 13, 2016, 12:31:30 PM6/13/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
$4,200 for the complete set up. I had the P-70 display at the help already so i didnt have to replace that thank God.

I still have my old course computer and the fluxgate compass, just need the type 1 linear drive if your looking for one. its rated to 21,500 lbs. Thats right on the edge of its limits with the Cabo, especially if your provisioned for cruising.