Deck or spreader lights

Garrett

Nov 28, 2016, 8:35:53 AM11/28/16
to caborico
I am interested in your setup for deck or spreader lights. I have a steaming light (masthead) above the TV ant. but no deck light. Have thought about a combo but think the deck light  would be deflected.
Comments, please

N C

Nov 28, 2016, 5:56:12 PM11/28/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have a steaming light/deck light combo that works well but, there is nothing below it to block the deck light. I'm also looking at adding some spreader lights as well to give me more light on the side decks.  You may want to look at the LED lights if you're thinking about upgrading.

On Nov 28, 2016, at 8:35 AM, Garrett <svenska...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am interested in your setup for deck or spreader lights. I have a steaming light (masthead) above the TV ant. but no deck light. Have thought about a combo but think the deck light  would be deflected.
Comments, please

Mickey Panayiotakis

Nov 29, 2016, 4:33:53 PM11/29/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I have LED lights on the spreaders. Specifically the "Hella marine LED Mega Beam Floodlights".

I don't have any issue with the lights themselves, they're plenty bright.

In theory… they have this hinge they rotate around, so you can direct the light where you need it most--perhaps one forward and one down the mast.

In practice, after some heavy sailing, they will slip down the hinge. Now mine point somewhere between the bow/foredeck and about 5 feet in front of the boat.

I think some lock-tite on the bolts should fix that, so it's on my list for the next time I go halfway up the mast.

mickey

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 5:56 PM, N C <cr3...@msn.com> wrote:
I have a steaming light/deck light combo that works well but, there is nothing below it to block the deck light. I'm also looking at adding some spreader lights as well to give me more light on the side decks.  You may want to look at the LED lights if you're thinking about upgrading.

On Nov 28, 2016, at 8:35 AM, Garrett <svenska...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am interested in your setup for deck or spreader lights. I have a steaming light (masthead) above the TV ant. but no deck light. Have thought about a combo but think the deck light  would be deflected.
Comments, please

jpcorri...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2016, 9:32:56 AM12/12/16
to caborico
Check out Marine Beams

Steve McAlister

Dec 12, 2016, 3:09:14 PM12/12/16
to caborico
2nd that for Marine Beams.  I changed out all of my bulbs (interior and exterior) with their LEDs and could not be happier.  They even had an LED replacement for my deck light.  For my deck light I went with the Aqua Signal 4104-1 combo deck and steaming light and replaced the conventional sealed beam that came with it with the LED from Marine Beam, chose the 60 degree angle 13W bulb (the incandescent sealed beam that came with the Aqua signal is 50W) .  The Aqua Signal deck light has a large angle forward and easily FLOODs the foredeck.  Would be nice to have lighting shinning aft of the mast, for this I am looking at the SeaDog stainless spreader lights from defender and also change to LEDs (uses the same PAR36 Bulb from Marine Beam) and point them aft.
I also purchased Marine Beams Long Range Illuminator and love it.  The beam comes out in the shape of the LED which is square not round as other lights go.

Alex Tarlecky

Dec 13, 2016, 10:21:07 AM12/13/16
to caborico
We have the hella led spreader lights but wish we had also added a combo steaming/foredeck light. We use the spreader lights all the time and the foredeck light would be extremely helpful in lots of situations where you need to work on the foredeck with the anchor or some sails/rigging stuff. Since the LED spreader lights are so energy efficient we leave them on at night when we are anchored in areas where we are alone and need high visibility... such as when we anchored on the bahamas bank where a lot of big boats go by.

Bill Jones

Dec 13, 2016, 1:20:21 PM12/13/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
My neighbor recently installed a pair of Lunasea spreader LED lights.  I was amazed at the amount of light they put out.  They completely lit up the deck both for and aft.  I am pulling my mast this week for a complete re-do and installation of a new radar and wind sensor, etc.  I will be installing these same lights on my spreaders.  I cannot say enough about them.   Outdoor LED Spreader Light 1100+ Lumens | Products | Lunasea Lighting

Alex Tarlecky

Dec 13, 2016, 6:55:18 PM12/13/16
to caborico, roadki...@yahoo.com
Don't forget to add a 4G phone antenna! Maybe a second antenna for AIS.

Garrett

Feb 5, 2017, 1:23:42 PM2/5/17
to caborico
I removed the Co-ax tv cable from inside the mast and attempted to run a wire for the deck light. The new wire broke off and had to pull it off. I have since went up the (several more times) to run a fish tape down but i keep "hitting" something halfway down. The co-ax cable was for the TV (don't need or want) and the hole was drilled bedside the track forward on the mast. Any ideas as to what I am hitting? I could probably drill a hole thru the "track" but I don't know if this would accomplish anything. Ideas?

curtis hoffman

Feb 5, 2017, 1:31:52 PM2/5/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I watched a sailboat rigger using a very impressive tool for running stuff in the mast. 4-5 feet of ball chain on the end of heavy string. The ball chain piles up at an obstruction until it's heavy enough to flow through an opening. Second one. Congratulations on not using the coax to pull your wires through. Darwin Award !

Sent from my iPhone

curtis hoffman

Feb 5, 2017, 1:40:26 PM2/5/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
image1.png

Sent from my iPhone

Garrett

Feb 5, 2017, 1:48:14 PM2/5/17
to caborico
Don't need that "Darwin award" comment, Hoffman. As my post explained I tried that. Reading comprehend sion not a strong suit, eh?

curtis hoffman

Feb 5, 2017, 1:53:00 PM2/5/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yes I had a head injury as a child.

Sent from my iPhone

curtis hoffman

Feb 5, 2017, 2:34:42 PM2/5/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I suggested trying the ball chain as it finds a path on its own. If you can remember as a kid playing with a length of it it piles up then tips over looking for a gravity path. Comprehension has always been problem. Try the ball chain!

Sent from my iPhone

Patrick Dayshaw

Feb 6, 2017, 12:05:58 AM2/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
On my boat, Silhouette, CR38, #43, when I replaced several cables in the
yard in SF before sailing up the coast to Seattle, I found someone had
injected expandable foam in several spots in the mast presumably to stop
the wire bundles from banging around. Using a steel fish-tape I was able
to clear a path by repeatedly pushing it in and pulling it out a short
distance but that was only after I had cut the factory installed "hooked
end" off the fish-tape and sharpened/tapered the new end a bit. Once I
bored the first hole and got it to the end of the mast I reformed the
hook and pulled a 1/4" line through to open up the new path further and
then pulled the new cables after that. Getting the 1/4" line thru
required a bit a sawing back and forth but actually went smoothly with a
person on each end. Took a bit of effort but in the end it worked out
fine. YMMV.

Regarding the deck vs spreader light discussion, we have both. The
forward deck light, part of the steaming light assembly, proved useful
as an additional "anchor light" of sorts in crowded and busy anchorages.
The masthead light may be easily missed by small boats speeding around
crowded anchorages. We often left the fore-deck light on to better
illuminate our position. The spreader mounted lights were invaluable
when making sail changes or reefing mid ocean and helped the helm
person see and track the process when wind and sea condition's made
voice communication difficult. We found having both was a blessing.

Patrick

S/V Silhouette, CR38, #43

www.svsilhouette.com

Bill Jones

Feb 6, 2017, 3:33:42 AM2/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Do you know if your wires are run inside conduit or are they running free in the mast?  I am currently completely rewiring everything in my mast including installing new wires for several new components.  I pulled the mast as I knew it would be very difficult to do all this work in a vertical position.  Fortunately I can shine a light from the bottom and can see that it is clear all the way to the top.  I am having a problem with some wires in a single conduit and tomorrow will be using my borescope in one of the wire holes near the spreaders.  My inexpensive borescope connects with blue tooth to both my IPhone and Ipad.  You might consider getting one and having a look to see what your obstruction is. My sentiments are in line with Curtis...what were you thinking when you pulled the tv cable without tying on a pull line?