U-35 Stalls when shifting into reverse??

Nico Walsh

Oct 9, 2017, 1:25:57 PM10/9/17
to caborico
The Universal 35 on Far and Away has just taken to stalling when put in reverse . . . Fun!

I thought maybe the coupling had slipped and the prop was hitting the rudder (who I would surely have felt), but observation of the shaft while shifting suggests that is not occurring. The stall is immediate, seemingly before the engine even takes a load. Any ideas??

Ron Acierno

Oct 10, 2017, 11:42:43 AM10/10/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
sounds like a neutral safety switch/low oil/kill short...do you have such a one on there?

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Nico Walsh <nwa...@gwi.net> wrote:
The Universal 35 on Far and Away has just taken to stalling when put in reverse . . . Fun!

I thought maybe the coupling had slipped and the prop was hitting the rudder (who I would surely have felt), but observation of the shaft while shifting suggests that is not occurring. The stall is immediate, seemingly before the engine even takes a load. Any ideas??

Nico Walsh

Oct 10, 2017, 9:14:35 PM10/10/17
to caborico
Hansen Marine asked "Do you have a Maxprop?" I said I do, and he suggested the pitch-setting device on the prop had sheared so it went to full pitch in reverse, stalling the engine. I'll haul soon and see if that's the case.

Nico Walsh

Oct 30, 2017, 12:01:30 PM10/30/17
to caborico
Mystery solved: I changed the zinc in August using SCUBA. I used the wrong zinc, and it interfered with the ability of the Maxprop blades to fully flip.

Always something . .. .

Chuck Batson

Nov 1, 2017, 11:34:49 AM11/1/17
to caborico
Wow... Thanks Nico for following up with the resolution. From where do you source your MaxProp zincs?

Best,

Chuck B
San Rafael, CA

Nico Walsh

Nov 1, 2017, 12:13:19 PM11/1/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I typically get them from a local yard. The thing is the boat is new to me, and the boatyard that winterized her last year gave me the spec. I should have noticed the issue but I did the work underwater and was not sufficiently careful. The zinc went on fine . . . .

Could have been a lot worse. I discovered the issue when I backed away from a mooring, not when coming alongside a pier.

Nico Walsh

Nicholas H. Walsh P.A.

Admiralty and Maritime Law; Probate Litigation; Commercial Law

Phone: (207) 772-2191
Fax:     (207 774-3940

P.O. Box 7206
120 Exchange St.
Portland ME 04112

This message is from a law firm, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you suspect you are not the intended recipient, please delete the email and call us.

Nico Walsh