Is there a standard holding tank size?

Steve McAlister

Nov 9, 2015, 8:49:01 PM11/9/15
to caborico
Hello... shopping on the CR38 market I have come across several different holding tank sizes and wondering if this is a case of incorrect data or were the CR38s really made with a wide range of holding tanks?
Some I have encountered are 40 US Gallons, some are 25 and the smallest claim is 15 Gallons (naturally on the boat I am most interested in).  I find it hard to believe that 15 Gallons would be correct, surely this has to be a misprint?????
Is the holding tank accessible (easy or a pain?) and room to upsize... just in case it really is 15 Gallons?
Thanks in advance for responses.... Steve

curtis hoffman

Nov 9, 2015, 9:19:01 PM11/9/15
to Cabo Sailnet, Paul Hoffman
Find a gas can or some other vessel of known quantity. With a shore water supply fill the vessel and time how long it takes. Then fill your empty holding tank time how long it takes and do the math.

 Paul

S/V Oceanghost

Nov 11, 2015, 4:39:19 AM11/11/15
to caborico
My 1990 Hull#143 is 40 US Gal.

Steve McAlister

Nov 11, 2015, 11:08:01 PM11/11/15
to caborico
Unfortunately the boat I am interested in is 3 states away, I have not flown in to inspect her yet, researching before I make that step.  The boat is a 94 Offshore layout.  If anyone has the Offshore layout and can answer the size of holding tank question I would appreciate it.  I find it hard to believe that a Cabo built in the 90s would have a 15 gallon holding tan, this has to be an error??

Thanks

S/V Oceanghost

Nov 12, 2015, 4:44:12 AM11/12/15
to caborico
I couldn't imagine a 15 gal. holding tank. Cabo's are great offshore boats. Ive done several long passages and with mine and love it. If the holding tank is the only flaw you have so far i would suggest going and having a look. That can be easy corrected.

Steve McAlister

Nov 13, 2015, 9:39:23 PM11/13/15
to caborico
Oceanghost,

What layout is your boat?

Thanks

Alex Tarlecky

Nov 14, 2015, 10:44:27 AM11/14/15
to caborico
We have a 20 gallon tank in our 1987. Emptied it and refilled with 1 gallon jug while looking through inspection port.

LDCB...@aol.com

Nov 14, 2015, 11:12:19 AM11/14/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Our 1984 CR38 has 40 gal tank. Also states that in the boat information that came with it.

Larry B.
Venteux

Alex Tarlecky

Nov 17, 2015, 10:00:46 AM11/17/15
to caborico
Ours also indicated a 40 gallon tank but its definitely not!

S/V Oceanghost

Dec 23, 2015, 10:48:25 AM12/23/15
to caborico
Cabo Rico offered five significant variations of the standard interior arrangement featuring a forward stateroom with large double berth followed by head and seperate shower, a main saloon with either opposing settees. My arrangement is a dinette/settee, and an aft galley with navigation station and starboard side pilot birth.