Stay Sail Tack

Stephen Brady

May 30, 2015, 7:03:20 AM5/30/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Bending on the StaySail, I could not find how the Tack was attached to the Isomat StaySail Boom. The end has two reefing horns on each side, and a hole forward for a fitting, but no indication a fitting was ever used and no parts. I found an old peice of 5/16" line attached to athe StaySail Shroud fitting on the deck, like a pennat, but that does not seem correct. Any advice on how your Stay Sail tack is attached?

Stephen
S/V New Wind
'83 CR38

Alex Tarlecky

May 31, 2015, 12:58:30 PM5/31/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Mine has a metal hoop, like a regular shackle but flat, that goes through the tack of the sail and attaches to the boom using the "shackle" bolt. The bolt hole is just about 1/2 inch in front of the horns.

Gmail

May 31, 2015, 3:37:54 PM5/31/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
The prevented main seems to feed and Phil is symmetrical on a dead downwind run with no problems. And no pole   image1.JPG

image2.JPGRon Acierno, PhD
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Medical University of South Carolina
College of Nursing, Room 500
99 Jonathan Lucas St.    MSC 160
Charleston SC 29425-1600

P: (843) 792-2949
F: (843) 792-1741
acierno@musc.edu
http://www.musc.edu/nursing

MUSC Nurses Change Lives!

Sent from my iPhone

N C

May 31, 2015, 4:02:47 PM5/31/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Great shot!

On May 31, 2015, at 3:37 PM, Gmail <aci...@gmail.com> wrote:

The prevented main seems to feed and Phil is symmetrical on a dead downwind run with no problems. And no pole   <image1.JPG>

gregry melnechuk

May 31, 2015, 9:20:35 PM5/31/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Great, how in the ?  were you able to do that?

Stephen Brady

May 31, 2015, 10:27:12 PM5/31/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex, thats what I thought. What has me baffled is that the spot for the Shackle Pin looks like it has never been used.

Nice Shots Ron.....

Stephen

Gmail

Leslie Owen

Jul 8, 2015, 9:10:16 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ron, I was just looking at your nifty photos and noticed your boom brake.  It seems very like our Wolter Boom Brake.  Is that the brand of your unit and if so, do you think that was a device included by Cabo Rico?  We thought the PO added it and not knowing the number of boom brake products available at the time, maybe there are a whole host of these things out there.  I do not see these in my travels here in the Chesapeake.

We have just added a whisker pole to hold out our gennie.  No asymmetrical sail yet.

best,

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34, Hull 2
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD

Ron Acierno

Jul 8, 2015, 9:29:05 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
this is a dutchman boob brake. in my opinion, nothing even comes close. controlled from cockpit. would not sail without one.

Mickey Panayiotakis

Jul 8, 2015, 9:43:51 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Leslie

I think I have a wolter or something like it—certainly not a dutchman. Not sure if PO added it or came with.

mickey

Alex Tarlecky

Jul 8, 2015, 10:02:49 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We have a Wichard Gyb'easy boom brake... learned a trick from Il Giro to get it tight:

1) Attach the boom brake to the bottom of the boom where you would normally attach the vang.
2) Detach the vang and you have a nice triple block set up.
3) Hook the boom brake up as usual but have one end attached to the vang so you can pull on the vang and pull the control line for the boom brake tight.
4) Attach the other end of the vang to a stern cleat.

Pulled tight, the boom brake acts like a preventer. Loosened, it works like a regular boom brake.

- alex

Leslie Owen

Jul 8, 2015, 10:11:09 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ron you made my day. "A boob brake". 😄😄😄😄😄

Sent from my iPhone

Ron Acierno

Jul 8, 2015, 10:27:06 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
gosh, i meant boom brake. there are no brakes on boobs on my boat. free to move about the cabin.

cab...@aol.com

Jul 8, 2015, 11:32:22 AM7/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I use a Dutchman boom brake.