Re: [caborico] Digest for caborico@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Robert Banks

Jun 2, 2015, 8:28:24 AM6/2/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Changing sanitary hoses is a tough job. Unfortunately, the hoses have to make some unfortunate bends and turns, and reinforced, sanitary hose wants to resist that. I've never used Ridlyme, but I add cup of white vinegar and a tablespoon of mineral oil to the head every week. The vinegar dissolves the mineral deposits and deodorizes; the mineral oil lubricates the gaskets, seals and flapper valve. I last changed my hoses about four years ago, and my head, tank and hoses have no unpleasant odor. I'm also judicious in flushing the entire system with fresh water every time I perform a pump-out a pump-out station. Oh yeah, and whenever possible, I flush with fresh water. Saltwater plus nitrogenous waste equals concrete.

Robert Banks
CR38
"Impetuous III"

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 3:01 AM, <cabo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
N C <cr3...@msn.com>: Jun 01 11:24AM -0400

Pete,
Sorry I don't have a diagram. It is a very tedious time consuming job because of the lack of easy accessibility and angle changes. Removal wasn't too bad, even with clogged hoses. The installation was more difficult since I did it alone. It would have been much easier to have a second set of hands to pull on one end of the hose while I pushed on the other. I tied a line to one end to help guide it through some of the passage ways. I also had to remove some hoses to get to the ones I needed to change. It took me the better part of a day. You may want to label the hoses and what they connected to. I don't trust my memory any more. A couple of photos helps also.

Having a yard do it annually as Curtis mentioned certainly is an option but, if you do the math, 9 years at $350 a pop = $3,150. That's a pricey maintenance program for hoses that will have to be changed at some point anyway. They do get brittle over time and need replacing regardless of how well you clean the insides of them. A few hundred dollars in hoses every 9 years or so isn't that big of a deal.

I don't really see a need to open up the holding tank to install a pump. I just have the tank pumped out while at the dock or use the overboard discharge while offshore. Pump a gallon or two of ridlyme into the system while underway. A few hours of sailing, heeling over, and some choppy seas seems to do a pretty good job of agitating
the residual tank contents. I guess you'd have to inspect it internally to be sure. My marina measures the amount pumped out of the tank, it correlates to the capacity of my holding tank when full so I'd assume I don't have a build up of crud issue. I run the ridlyme through the system twice a year.

Incidentally, I flush out my A/C unit with ridlyme regularly. It definitely helps the performance of the unit. It's a lot easier to access those hoses and hook up a pump, wish the head was the same.

Good Luck,

Nick

curtis hoffman <hoffman...@gmail.com>: Jun 01 11:30AM -0400

I've had boats that after years almost completely close. Big time NG.

Sent from my iPhone

Mickey Panayiotakis

Jun 2, 2015, 8:37:18 AM6/2/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
FWIW I religiously flush with freshwater. I keep a gallon jug of freshwater nearby.

N C

Jun 2, 2015, 8:51:13 AM6/2/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I think that makes a big difference.

I tried the recycled beer flush method for quite some time but, it got really expensive!

Curtis Hoffman

Jun 2, 2015, 10:19:54 AM6/2/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Connect the new hose to the old hose then pull them through.  When I first discovered the mineral buildup in the waste hoses I broke off a few pieces and experimented with various methods to dissolve it to include vinegar. Zero results. That's why I am so adamant about Rydlym. It works!

Sent from my iPad HD