Bareboat Charter

Larry Vaughn

Mar 15, 2015, 5:16:12 PM3/15/15
to caborico
Hello.  Some of you may remember me from my short affiliation with CR, where I was dubbed  "Cabo Larry!"  Even though that is history, my passion for the product continues.  You might say I have CR envy!  I'm hoping someone within your group might be able to help me find a CR to charter.

We live in Indy and are now boat-less (other than my beloved '56 ChrisCraft woody.)  We've recently sold our fractional interest in a Jenneau 52 which was based on Virgin Gorda.  I am 71 and have decided that I'm happier as a charterer than I am as an owner.  I've already booked a 52' cat for three weeks in January, 2016, so I'm still going to be a regular in the BVI's.

We'd like to find a quality sloop/cutter to charter on the Great Lakes.  I'd like to have access for perhaps as much as four weeks per season; however, the weeks need not be together.  In fact, we'd prefer that they be scattered throughout the sailing season.

Locations we'd consider:

Lake Michigan:  Waukegan south and east to New Buffalo, and north to the bridge.  We especially love the Traverse Bay area.
Lake Huron:  The Michigan side all the way to the river.
Lake Erie:  Toledo to Sandusky, or possibly as far east as Cleveland.

We have chartered out of Traverse City in the past, and are fairly familiar with Lake Michigan from Traverse City to Mackinac, and the usual stops along the way.  We have not sailed on Lake Huron at all, and only minimally on Lake Erie.

My hope is to find a CR in the 36 to 42 foot range.  A traditional cabin or PilotHouse would both work.  I can't imagine a time when there would be more than four people on board, other than for an occasional day sail.

I've owned several boats, including an old Charlie Morgan 30' sloop which I kept in Melbourne, FL for 26 years.  Most recently we had the 52' Jenneau sloop.  I've also chartered several cats in the 50 to 52 foot range.

I have a 100T Masters.  Have done numerous deliveries from Key West to Maine, the Caribbean to Florida, Seattle to Southeast Alaska, and Spain to Florida (80' schooner.)  Oh, and I helped move a CR-56 from Newport to Annapolis for the boat show.  (Now that, friends, was one fine ride!)

I have retired from private flying, but hold ASMEL, Instrument, Glider ratings.  6,500+ hours (accident free).  I've owned just about everything from a J-3 to a 680 Commander, but 4,000+ hours were in Beech Barons.  I understand weather, navigation, and complex systems....skills that are all transferrable to boating.

I'm hopeful that someone in your group may know a CR owner who isn't using their boat enough and who might see fit to let me charter her a few weeks per year.  If you have suggestions, please email me directly at:  LarryG...@gmail.com

Thanks for listening!  Hope you can help us realize a dream.  Otherwise, I hope you have a great sailing season and are able to organize the various gatherings under discussion.  They sound like great fun!

Cheers!
"Cabo Larry"

--
Larry G. Vaughn