Noodin Visits the Chesapeake

Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin

Oct 15, 2016, 9:51:40ā€ÆPM10/15/16
to caborico
Hello all. We've been working our way from Montana towards the Bahamas since May on our CR34 and are now in the Chesapeake. The first 1,000 miles were by truck but we've sailed the rest of it. We met Dave and his wife Janet in Cornucopia on Lake Superior and would like to meet up with any willing Cabo owners here on the bay. We're anchored off of Hart-Miller Island tonight and will be slowly working our way toward Norfolk over the next three weeks. Please give us a shout if you're interested.

Montana.a...@gmail.com or 406.273.6591

Clay

Oct 16, 2016, 8:42:27ā€ÆAM10/16/16
to caborico
Hi Ron- Do you have HF marine radio capability? If so set up a sked?

Clay AA3JY
s/v Tango
currently in Deltaville,VA

Thierry Danz

Oct 16, 2016, 12:46:53ā€ÆPM10/16/16
to Cabo Rico Group

I'm leaving Baltimore, heading south, in 2Ā  weeks or so. I'm waiting for engine work to be done and have some new sails measured on the 25th. Then, weather permitting, leaving for Norfolk with 2 stops in between. Probably Solomon's and the Piankatank. Perhaps we can meet somewhere on the way.

Thierry
CR42 #12
CURLEW

Alex Tarlecky

Oct 16, 2016, 5:22:18ā€ÆPM10/16/16
to caborico
Hi, we are a little further south on the ICW... right above Oriental. We plan on being there through the end of this week before continuing south. Would love to meet up with you.

If you have AIS you can keep an eye out for Tiki Trek.

Leslie Owen

Oct 16, 2016, 5:48:32ā€ÆPM10/16/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ron if you and Phoebe want any suggestions for Chesa. Bay anchorages, we can share some nice secluded or busy spots. The bay deserves more time than you have but you can get a good feel and still make progress south. We are hanging in Deltaville for an outboard part. We will move out as Clayton is concerned about this mild weather turning chilly. Hope you are having an enjoyable mid Atlantic experience. We also have AIS so you can follow our progress (or lack of) in the next weeks. šŸ˜„

Best,

Leslie

Applegates

Oct 16, 2016, 8:46:53ā€ÆPM10/16/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clay and LeslieĀ - We do have an Icom M802 on board. I've listened and talked on a few nets but really don't know much about how to use it. We'd love to use it to check in with you guys. If you could take the lead on the where and when it would be appreciated. I have a general class license so ham bands are ok.Ā

We're currently anchored off Dobbin's Island and plan on Annapolis or heading toward St. Michaels tomorrow. We're planning on being on the Chesapeake until the end of the first week of November when we'll meet our Niece around Norfolk. Any suggestions on places to see or anchorages would be most appreciated. Hope all is well aboard Tango. Take care.Ā

Ron and Phebe
K9IPA (love those hoppy beers)

Clay

Oct 16, 2016, 11:42:58ā€ÆPM10/16/16
to caborico
Hi Ron-

Try checking into the Waterway and Cruising Net on 7.268 LSB around 8 am. They are area good source for weather and ICW conditions along the East Coast to the Bahamas.

Clay AA3JY
S/V Tango

Dave Newberg

Oct 17, 2016, 12:07:11ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ron & Phebe,

Itā€™s great to hear of your progress - we really enjoyed meeting you and wish our schedule would have allowed a second encounter and more time together.
We followed behind you to Isle Royale for about 12 days this July. I managed to grind Ciganoā€™s keel onto the rocks twice in one day in two different narrows - a new record.
Hope you had a chance to see Loon Harbor and more.
Best wishes for safe travels, happy trails.

Cheers
Janet & Dave

> On Oct 15, 2016, at 8:51 PM, Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin <montana.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all. We've been working our way from Montana towards the Bahamas since May on our CR34 and are now in the Chesapeake. The first 1,000 miles were by truck but we've sailed the rest of it. We met Dave and his wife Janet in Cornucopia on Lake Superior and would like to meet up with any willing Cabo owners here on the bay. We're anchored off of Hart-Miller Island tonight and will be slowly working our way toward Norfolk over the next three weeks. Please give us a shout if you're interested.
>
> Montana.a...@gmail.com or 406.273.6591

Applegates

Oct 17, 2016, 7:48:30ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Dave. We too are sorry that we didn't get a second chance to meet up. Lake Superior was definitely our favorite spot of the trip so far. I had no idea how much we'd miss clear water now that it's behind us. We got to Loon Harbour, Battle Island, CPR Slips, and more. Saw our first caribou in the Slates and our second in Quebec Harbour. Discovered an unheralded gem in Beauty (Beaty) Cove on the eastern shore.Ā

Sorry to hear about Cigano's keel but I can now testify that our CR34's are strong boats. We hit a submerged pile of large rip rap on the Hudson River while doing 7.5 knots and were nearly stopped by it. We hauled out in Havre de Grace and had fiberglass repairs made but it could've been way worse. A fin keel boat would probably still be there. Anyway, all is good and we're slowly headed south. Take care and say hi to Janet.Ā

Ron and Phebe
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Applegates

Oct 17, 2016, 9:18:55ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Thierry. We're on about the same schedule for starting the trip down the ICW so hopefully we'll see you along the way.

RonĀ
CR 34 Noodin
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Applegates

Oct 17, 2016, 9:22:48ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex. We're on the slow track for our migration so probably won't catch up anytime soon. Where is your winter destination? Hopefully we'll catch up somewhere along the way.

Ron

Leslie Owen

Oct 17, 2016, 9:38:32ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Ron and Phebe. Clayton was able to hear you check in to the waterway net this AM via relay. Guess we are kind of close for that. When I asked him how we could now talk he paused. I added "like pick up the cell phone?" Makes me laugh.

Glad to hear you are heading to St Michaels. You will find the museum a delight. Book store is very good. Town provides an Acme for groceries and a hardware store. Then since this is a tourist haven, loads of gift, tee shirts, antique shops and restaurants and ice cream places. For a nice place to anchor you can drop hook just inside Fogg Cove or if you like, the Wye River is quintessential Chesapeake Bay. We like to go up Dividing Creek. Bird watching is excellent.

Down on the Choptank River to the south is the charming town of Oxford. We had our refit done at Brewers Oxford Boatyard so Graham or Jason can provide help or services. Feel free to use our name. Pretty good ships store and a new set up for heads and laundry. The little town offers charm but few services. Another nice marina is Batchelor Point. One can anchor up the Towne Creek or any little Creek in the neighborhood. Be aware that going thru Knapps Narrows is a challenge. You have shallows at both ends. I have not been through this year but bet one needs to almost touch the western mark going in. It is also easy to just go in via the mouth of the Choptank.

The Little Choptank offers a lovely anchorage in Hudson Creek in behind Cason apt. We have seen as many as 7 eagles there at once. There is a pair that snuggle up together on the branches of the dead trees like love birds. Very cute. šŸ˜

Solomons Island comes next with stores, hotels, restaurants, hotels, etc. that was where we hung out for the storm activity we have had. Easy places to get a slip or anchor out. If you want to adventure up the Patuxent, St Leonard's Creek is a favorite for many. Seem to be mostly power boats when we we went.

Next south is the Potomac. We have found St Mary's to be lovely. You can go up to the college and tour St Mary's City but don't expect a city. It is a historical site. Very pretty. I have not travelled the Potomac so have no experience beyond, but you can travel all the way to D.C.

Tangier Island is a unique experience on the Bay. You can take you boat there or go to Chrisfield to the municipal marina and go over via the mail boat. Great seafood I'd someone is cookin.

Onancock isa nice little town to visit. Good restaurant at head of Creek.

The Rappahannock is another nice stop. The Tides Inn, Carter Creek, is a place that has been around for years (my parents used to go there for boating rondeuvous back in the 40s. If you don't have a jacket for dinner, they provide one. šŸ˜„

We found a lovely anchorage on the Great Wicomoco on Mill Creek on this trip. Deep water. Quiet setting.
You can also go to Reedville (across the river). It is cute little town, once very wealthy, but can smell from the fish processing that is there. šŸ˜

Next short hop is Deltaville. Nice town. Sleepy but has all services one would need. You can enter from the Rappahannock via a channel (we don't do that), though Jackson Creek or via the Piankatank into Fishing Bay.

Mobjack Bay offers lots of nice spots. We have always gone to Ware River.

You can also travel the York. I do not have any experienced it and than you are in tidewater VA. Keep your eyes peeled for fish stakes.....they make my blood run cold. šŸ™

I will hope we meet up soon. We are traveling slow so should not be hard to catch.

Best,

Leslie. Still in Deltaville.

Sent from my iPad

cab...@aol.com

Oct 17, 2016, 9:55:51ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, kb3...@gmail.com

I used to keep my boat near the Tides Inn. Check out the Urbana Oyster fest if you are in the area at that time.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

cab...@aol.com

Oct 17, 2016, 9:57:05ā€ÆAM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, montana.a...@gmail.com

Let me know if you stop by North Myrtle Beach.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Tom Fuhs

Oct 17, 2016, 1:39:47ā€ÆPM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Breck-- Ā Where in Irvington did you keep your boat?Ā  Were you happy there?Ā  We have been looking at the Rappahannock Yacht Club and Carters Creek marina.Ā  I have not found any others on the North side of the River.

-Tom
SV Eclipse Ā CR38 #115Ā

>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

Richard Joiner

Oct 17, 2016, 3:01:54ā€ÆPM10/17/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom,

Check out Yankee Point Marina on the Corrotoman (just past Carters Creek). Great full service marina, restaurant, snack bar. I have never had a long term slip there, but have hauled out and wintered there a couple of times. If you are thinking about long term dockage, Lancaster County now has no boat tax!

Rich

ā€œBUIOCHASā€

Tom Fuhs

Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin

Oct 17, 2016, 8:51:09ā€ÆPM10/17/16
to caborico
Thanks Leslie for the detailed run down on the bay. We're anchored tonight on the Rhode River. What a beautiful spot. We will likely spend another night or two here. I'm with Clay on talking over the cell phone. HF is fun but nothing like a cell phone for actually having a conversation. Take care.

Leslie Owen

Oct 18, 2016, 9:25:25ā€ÆAM10/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Morning Ron. You Cant beat it. Hope you got to meet the Cabo Rico ambassador, Mickey, while there. šŸ˜„

Safe travels,

Leslie

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 8:51 PM, Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin <montana.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Leslie for the detailed run down on the bay. We're anchored tonight on the Rhode River. What a beautiful spot. We will likely spend another night or two here. I'm with Clay on talking over the cell phone. HF is fun but nothing like a cell phone for actually having a conversation. Take care.

S/V Watauga

Oct 19, 2016, 4:23:11ā€ÆPM10/19/16
to caborico
S/V Watauga left Norfolk on Sunday the 16th.Ā  Currently in Belhaven, NC for some unexpected engine work. . .Hope to be finished today and continue South tomorrow.Ā  Perhaps we will see you along the way

S/V Watauga

Oct 19, 2016, 4:47:00ā€ÆPM10/19/16
to caborico
Dont have AIS but plan to be your way very soon.Ā  Currently in Belhaven.

Alex Tarlecky

Oct 20, 2016, 6:54:36ā€ÆAM10/20/16
to caborico, montana.a...@gmail.com
The Keys... maybe Key West for new years, Dry Tortugas, and Marathon.