Going to take a look at a CR34

Peter Hallock

Mar 22, 2017, 9:45:41 PM3/22/17
to caborico
Going to look at this CR34 next week: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991/Cabo-Rico-34-2922400/Oriental/NC/United-States#.WNMWv_krLic

A little background: I owned a Pearson 27 for five years, sold it in 2012 in anticipation of a move that didn't happen.  My plan has been to buy a project boat a few years out from retirement, and that's potentially less than four years away now.  I've had my eye on this one for quite a while, as it fits the bill.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this particular CR (beyond the listing).  Also interested in any suggestions on what to look for, what to prod, where to poke.  Based on the listing and talks with the broker, it's been on the hard for probably over three years.  I'm going into this assuming it will need a re-power, and at 26 years old, replacing the chainplates and standing rigging is probably a given.

Thanks!

Jd Johnson

Mar 23, 2017, 9:51:00 AM3/23/17
to caborico
I too have been watching that boat...but have not been a position to check her out.  Good luck! - JD

gregry melnechuk

Mar 23, 2017, 2:48:17 PM3/23/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
The Chainplates were made of 2 pieces of stainless steel and will have cracks so replacing them with 3/8" stainless is a given.  Check the AC outlets, remove them on the interior port and starboard sides of the salon and check for water leaks. Some of the hull to deck bonding did not cure so, you'll need to caulk where the teak rail meets the fibreglass on the anterior side.  Replace most of the hoses especially the sewage hoses, replace any corroded bronze nipples on the bronze through hulls.  Replace the corroded aluminum flanged piece on top of the starboard aft berth water tank pickup. Replace clutch and throttle cables.  Replace all stainless cracked pieces on the bowsprit and bob stay. Replace whatever is on the shaft log.  Rebalance prop and 1 1/4 -12 foot drive shaft.  Replace the shaft bearings.  Replace the Edson SS steering chain and cables, etc.  Anchor the wiring inside the mast to stop the slapping.  Pull the cover off the aft berth to check the shaft, replace the bilge level switch. Good luck,.or consider a cabo rico 38.  cheers

Ron Acierno

Mar 23, 2017, 2:55:59 PM3/23/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
or just buy my boat!  the 38 in charleston!

Dave Newberg

Mar 23, 2017, 4:58:53 PM3/23/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We bought our 1990 34 over 11 years ago and are still happy with the boat. I agree with the recommendation to check all the items listed by gregry m below. Your prospective boat is over 25 years old, so you will hopefully find some items that he listed have already been addressed. Because these boats are initially on the high $$ end, owners typically keep up the maintenance. Your survey will identify most of the issues. It’s a real good value at that listed price, there’s a lot of room for upgrading if you buy it.

If not already addressed by former owner(s), the the following should also be considered:
1. Exhaust hose - replace
2. Mast collar - rebed
3. Masthead running and anchor lights - change to LED
4. Lifelines - replace
5. The galley sink bottom is at or below LWL. The sink drain assembly parts are often not marine quality. That is a weak link in the CR34’s mechanical systems. Be absolutely sure all connections there are corrosion-free, trustworthy, and the seacock is solid.
6. If mainsheet traveler is original, with finger-buster piston/button adjustment, consider a newer style line-control traveler.
7. Steering system’s aluminum mounting bracket assembly is hiding under floor of aft lazarette, often neglected due to difficult access. Check for corrosion and spray with corrosion preventative.
8. Original pumps, manual bilge, head overboard, and electric diaphragm bilge are certainly getting near the end of their useful life.
9. Original mainsail track and full battens makes raising/lowering sail nearly impossible at any angle except directly upwind. Consider adding a Strong Track.
10. Check water heater tank — often installed wrapped with insulation which absorbs salt water and corrodes tank bottom, where water gravitates.

Info and comments compiled over the years from many 34 owner’s, as well as my own are here if you want to have a look. http://www.davenewberg.com/Cigano/index.html

Cheers
Dave

Peter Hallock

Mar 23, 2017, 5:34:05 PM3/23/17
to caborico
Thanks everyone for the advice. Not having a survey yet, just a viewing, but I'll put all of this together and take with me.

Dave, very familiar with Cigano, in fact I've used a few pictures of her to show the Admiral the potential "after".

Dave Newberg

Mar 24, 2017, 1:08:23 PM3/24/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Best of luck Peter — hope you get your boat at the desired price.
The Admiral here was the strongest impetus for acquiring Cigano.
Cheers
Dave