Replacing some teak plugs

honeyg...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 1:59:25 PM1/30/18
to caborico
Just checking. I am replacing 2 dozen or so teak plugs in my cockpit teak.  A few have fallen out. The others just look bad.  I see 2 sizes but I am not sure about plug sizes.  Not sure if CR measured in inches or millimeters.  Any experience would be helpful
Don M
Honey Girl
CR 38 #94

GARBOARD

Jan 31, 2018, 9:45:21 AM1/31/18
to caborico
Don:
I have CR 38 # 150 and mine were 5/16" ( very close to 8mm ) . If the hole gets over sized a bit during removal, 3/8" plugs worked for me. I used a little Titebond III wood glue and tapped them in with a mallet after cutting them to the proper length. Then wiped off excess glue with a moistened rag.
Brian

GARBOARD

Jan 31, 2018, 12:23:38 PM1/31/18
to caborico
Don:
Another option is to buy a set of inexpensive wood plug cutters on Amazon, or a local hardware store and obtain a piece of teak of the desired thickness and using an electric drill you can cut plugs of whatever diameter needed. I've had good luck with that procedure.
Brian