Chartplotter size

S/V Watauga

Aug 18, 2016, 7:58:13 PM8/18/16
to caborico
What chartplotter screen size do most use on a CR38 at the helm? 7,9, or 12 inch?

N C

Aug 18, 2016, 9:48:21 PM8/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I'm partial towards a bigger screen, easier to read especially in a dicey situation.

On Aug 18, 2016, at 7:58 PM, S/V Watauga <rro...@cox.net> wrote:

What chartplotter screen size do most use on a CR38 at the helm? 7,9, or 12 inch?

Bill Jones

Aug 18, 2016, 10:33:56 PM8/18/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I recently purchased Ray Marine's latest and greatest 12" chart plotter.  I have not installed it yet.

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:58 PM, S/V Watauga <rro...@cox.net> wrote:

What chartplotter screen size do most use on a CR38 at the helm? 7,9, or 12 inch?

Coolrocks

Aug 19, 2016, 8:35:59 AM8/19/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Sailing in the thousand islands is trickey and you have to know where you are at all times. rock bottom and from zero to 150 feet strieght down or up depending how you look at it.
and I use a small plotter 7 inch I think maybe smaller and I have no problems. sometimes you have to zoom in pretty good.

The reason for the small plotter is a cabo has little / restricted line of sight and to put a big ass screen in front of that is not wise. with the bow up high thr dodger low and the sails visabillity realy sucks.

all that to say I choose small.

Jamie
s/v Opus
opus sailing 2014 486.jpg
opus sailing 2014 579.jpg

Bill Jones

Aug 19, 2016, 12:00:32 PM8/19/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Jamie I appreciate your comments but in my case my single screen provides charts, radar, sonar, AIS,  images as well as a sundry of other data.  To be able to view the display of this data at the same time one needs a fairly large screen.  If they had a larger one I would get it.

John Crispin

Aug 19, 2016, 12:10:57 PM8/19/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Do any of you mount your chartplotter on the cabin top underneath the dodger?  I have ours mounted on a swing arm in the companionway but am thinking of moving it (Raymarine E80).  I'm reluctant to put it on the binnacle because we grab that to move around the cockpit, and as my wife points out only the helms-person can see it.

John Crispin
S/V Perspective CR 38 #71

Robert Benner

Aug 19, 2016, 4:30:19 PM8/19/16
to Thierry Danz
On Meredith we use a 5 inch Standard Horizon 390i.  It is mounted on a DIY swivel so the cockpit can reaffirm their situational awareness whenever they are feeling insecure.

The crew want to be able to see what is going on so a swivel is a great idea.

Having the chartplotter close to the helm is critical unless you have a dedicated navigator in addition to helmsman.  On Meredith the helmsman multitasks.  If the chartplotter were way up at the companionway it would be a serious inconvenience.  If I want the screen zoomed in or out or scrolled I do it right when I want it, not after I move around and over who or whatever is in the cockpit leaving the helm unattended to do so.

I am not an expert on angular distance but my rough calculations indicate a twelve inch screen mounted at the companionway would appear to the eye to be about the same size as a five inch screen mounted on the binnacle.

Some chartplotters, more so the multifunction devices, risk burying the critical information in a sea of clutter and colourful noise.  Equipment has to make decision making in difficult situations easier.

We have our AIS wired into the chartplotter but never use it preferring instead to use the two inch screen on the ram mike.  The tiny monochrome ram mike tells us exactly what we want to know about traffic out of visual range: how far away, how fast moving, in what direction.  A picture of a boat over which I must hover a mousepoint to trigger the necessary information is not as useful.  Cooler though.

Our preference is also to separate electronics so every function has its own device although that is no longer the imperative it once was.

This is one of those problems with no generally applicable solution - only a continuum of possible combinations.

Bob and Connie
Meredith #100

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

S/V Watauga

Aug 21, 2016, 8:41:02 AM8/21/16
to caborico
thanks all for the great feedback.  obviously some like small and some prefer large.  Seem to be pointing me toward a middle position and probably a 9 inch screen.

MW Swart

Aug 21, 2016, 5:54:50 PM8/21/16
to caborico
We removed a 12 inch Raymarine Chartplotter, replaced it with a Garmim half the size. NO forward visibility with larger unit. The fact that our dodger is a old design, with less window area than newer styles, influenced our decision. What type dodger does your boat have? Thinking its at least as important to see directly ahead of the boat as it is to stare at a screen?

Richard Roten

Aug 21, 2016, 6:16:36 PM8/21/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I too have the older Style dodger.

-RCR

> On Aug 21, 2016, at 17:54, MW Swart <jennife...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We removed a 12 inch Raymarine Chartplotter, replaced it with a Garmim half the size. NO forward visibility with larger unit. The fact that our dodger is a old design, with less window area than newer styles, influenced our decision. What type dodger does your boat have? Thinking its at least as important to see directly ahead of the boat as it is to stare at a screen?

Ron Applegate - CR34 Noodin

Aug 30, 2016, 6:34:35 PM8/30/16
to caborico
We have an 8" Zeus Touch at the helm on our CR34 and I think it's the perfect size. Big enough to see but not obtrusive.

Calypso Poet - CR38 #116

Sep 6, 2016, 11:58:02 AM9/6/16
to caborico
In the past I used just my 8" tablet mounted on a gimbal at the helm running Navionics. I loved the size - not interfering with my view forward while at the same time big enough to see everything I needed to see.
Based on this experience and as I have all Raymarine instruments, I also now purchased a 7" Ray-marine eS78 chart-plotter that will be mounted at the helm.

One question that arises out of my new purchase is the mounting of a sonar sensor. Included in the Raymarine purchase was a transom mounted sonar sensor.
Has anyone got this same setup and actually installed this sensor? If so, how did you mount it?

I think that to have the sonar capability I will have to purchase a new in-hull sensor? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Pete