wordpress 3.0.4

Ed Summers

Jan 17, 2012, 8:49:30 PM1/17/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
As I log in again to enter some article text I'm reminded of how
worrying it is to see we are running several versions behind the
latest Wordpress version (3.0.4 instead of 3.3.1). Is there a reason
why we've fallen behind this far?

Carol Bean

Jan 17, 2012, 9:44:37 PM1/17/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
I nominate Ed to upgrade us.

Actually, I believe there was something about plugins we have been using, and also some concern about what would happen to some of the customizations JBrinley did for us.

But I think the biggest reason was that no one wanted / had the time to do the upgrading. Maybe we could persuade our new Technical Editor, Tom Keays?

Carol Bean
bean...@gmail.com

Ed Summers

Jan 17, 2012, 10:02:39 PM1/17/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Carol Bean <bean...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I nominate Ed to upgrade us.

Ok, but we probably don't want to do it when we are on the eve of
publishing a new issue :-)

> Actually, I believe there was something about plugins we have been using, and also some concern about what would happen to some of the customizations JBrinley did for us.

Is jbrinley no longer active in the c4lj effort? If his plugins are
preventing us from keeping current I would vote for jettisoning his
customizations.

> But I think the biggest reason was that no one wanted / had the time to do the upgrading.  Maybe we could persuade our new Technical Editor, Tom Keays?

I would be happy to help out. I think it's pretty important we stay
current because there are security vulnerabilities aplenty in previous
versions of WordPress. I've been bitten before by not keeping my
WordPress up to date, and would hate to see c4lj suffer a similar
fate.

//Ed

Jodi Schneider

Jan 18, 2012, 3:35:24 AM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:02 AM, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
Is jbrinley no longer active in the c4lj effort? If his plugins are
preventing us from keeping current I would vote for jettisoning his
customizations.

There's some information about the plugins here:

jbrinley has blogged about some of that (linked from the bottom of the wiki page) -- perhaps it would be worth having a conversation with him about the current state of things.

I sometimes use c4lj as an example of using WordPress for OA publishing, etc. -- so keeping up the documentation about the technical details would help a lot, in spreading the word!

-Jodi

Tom Keays

Jan 18, 2012, 6:38:23 AM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Carol Bean <bean...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I nominate Ed to upgrade us.

Ok, but we probably don't want to do it when we are on the eve of
publishing a new issue :-)

That's been my excuse for not getting around to upgrading us previously. I keep saying I'll do it when we're between issues and then find my work and personal schedules interfere with making the changes.

The issue of JB's plugins, and the fact that they're no longer actively being supported, have also been a worry for me. What we need to do is mirror our site, both the platform and the database, and make sure everything remains working.

So, hold me to it this next cycle. I have two things I want to see done:
1. Upgrade Wordpress
2. Upgrade the MySQL database to support Unicode characters

Tom

Ed Summers

Jan 18, 2012, 9:11:22 AM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Tom Keays <tomk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, hold me to it this next cycle. I have two things I want to see done:
> 1. Upgrade Wordpress
> 2. Upgrade the MySQL database to support Unicode characters

Tom (and everyone) are you going to be at code4lib in Seattle? It
seems we could have a little c4lj breakout session where we could chat
about this and other stuff. If not perhaps we could have a phone call?
You shouldn't feel like this is completely your responsibility to fix,
since the plugin situation makes it a bit more complicated. So having
a plan that we can all help you with would probably help get it done.

//Ed

Tom Keays

Jan 18, 2012, 2:35:46 PM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in Seattle. A breakout session would be fine. I don't have a lot vested in being the sole tech person for the journal. If there's a way to distribute work, that's great. In the past year (at least) though, the problem was not too many cooks, but too few.

Gabriel Farrell

Jan 18, 2012, 3:20:12 PM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in Seattle and happy to get together during one of the
breakout sessions. We could even try to get some work done on the
mirroring and upgrading and things unless that's too ambitious.

Kelley McGrath

Jan 18, 2012, 3:45:54 PM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
I will be of no help with WordPress, but I am actually going to be
attending my first Code4Lib conference in Seattle and hope to meet
some of you--Kelley

Tod Olson

Jan 18, 2012, 4:19:59 PM1/18/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com, Tod Olson
I missed the registration scrum due to confernce/meeting stuff, so won't be there. If the timing works, could do a Skype voice call or something, if that would be of use.

-Tod

Ed Summers

Jan 19, 2012, 6:37:18 AM1/19/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great. I guess we coordinate when we get to Seattle.

//Ed