Who's taken IS 543 (mobile platform development)

Joseph Davison

Jun 10, 2015, 4:34:46 PM6/10/15
to byu-coc...@googlegroups.com

So I'd like to learn some iOS dev. Since free time is null, I thought taking a class in it would be a good way to go about it. Under prereq’s it lists IS 413 “or equivalent”, but when I asked Dr. Liddle who teaches it, he said that if you’re comfortable with OO programming you’ll be fine. I just wanted to get a feel for if I’m qualified for it or not… I don’t know what “comfortable” means. That’s pretty ambiguous to me. I’m currently registered for it for fall…I’ll have taken two programming classes (CS 142 & 235), but have little knowledge of internet programming so far, although I was planning on learning some NodeJS over the summer.

Brent Anderson

Jun 10, 2015, 4:42:18 PM6/10/15
to byu-coc...@googlegroups.com
If you feel good about CS 142 and 235, then you should be just fine in Dr. Liddle’s class. Last I checked, he liberally draws from the Stanford CS193P course (currently at https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/developing-ios-8-apps-swift/id961180099). If you review that content and find it pretty straightforward, then you should be just fine.

Brent Anderson

On Jun 10, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Joseph Davison <josephd...@gmail.com> wrote:

So I'd like to learn some iOS dev. Since free time is null, I thought taking a class in it would be a good way to go about it. Under prereq’s it lists IS 413 “or equivalent”, but when I asked Dr. Liddle who teaches it, he said that if you’re comfortable with OO programming you’ll be fine. I just wanted to get a feel for if I’m qualified for it or not… I don’t know what “comfortable” means. That’s pretty ambiguous to me. I’m currently registered for it for fall…I’ll have taken two programming classes (CS 142 & 235), but have little knowledge of internet programming so far, although I was planning on learning some NodeJS over the summer.

Joseph Davison

Jun 11, 2015, 9:21:11 AM6/11/15
to byu-coc...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful. That's good information. Thanks a lot.