statistical studies on astrology or nadi jyothisha and prediction science

Krishna Kashyap

Oct 10, 2019, 7:00:55 PM10/10/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaskara,

If this question is not appropriate, please delete it.

I do understand that astrology or Jyotisha is an anga of Vedas. It is definitely possible that the external environmental effects including planetary forces have an effect on the birth, formation, and future of a foetus.

To start with, has anyone published papers to assess the validity of predictions based of astrology in a scientific manner?

I am sure astrology is of source of great professional and academic interest for many.  My interest is mainly to assess the truth and validity of that science (satyAnvEshaNa).

I heard that some papers  were published which have proven that astrology predictions are more than 60 percent accurate, which is quite a feat, considering the complexity of prediction of future.  Though "60 percent right " may give this science some validity, the bad effects caused by 40 percent erroneous predictions / advice may have wrecked thousands of lives beyond repair!

I am interested in understanding the validation studies conducted if any and what to use Astrology for and what not to use it.

My understanding is that the main purpose of astrology was to fix muhurtas for yajnas and yaagas. However, later on, people started extending it to match horoscopes for marriages and predict future events for people.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Krishna Kashyap

Dr BVK Sastry

Oct 12, 2019, 3:12:30 PM10/12/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Namaste Krishna Kashyap ji

1.  On  < has anyone published papers to assess the validity of predictions based of astrology in a scientific manner?   > :  We have enough data , fairly organized and available ( live and ongoing)  on hand, which can be taken up by those interested for ' scientific  study'.

Reg. access to these data details, pl. contact me off line .

Before that, I need to make a point very clear.

Modern Science researchers / curio-analysts have very skewed and negative, closed mind set and pre-formed opinions  on what 'Science part of Vedanga Jyotisha is, was and should do ! '. The traditional practitioners have equally seriously erroneous mapping of traditional teaching to modern science terms.

The crisscross skewed understanding starts with the very base and basics of  the ' technical terms of Jyotisha aka Jyotir-Yoga ( like Graha, Nakshatra)  which is the ' Yoga-Samskrutham'- vedanga pedagogy of Jyotisha ( like dealing with Karma-phala, Devataa-parihara, Concept of Sacred and auspicious Time (= Kaala- Purusha /  Kalaatmaa -sarvabhootaatmaa / Muhrutha), the Time divisions ( kaala-vibhaaga),  et al.

The study-research becomes much more complex  by the ' Panchanga- Ganitha differentials ( sayana/ Nirayana/ Nakshatra vyapti- ayanaamsha),  unspecified mixes of eighteen Jyotisha Siddhantas  with the 20th century variations within the traditional schools ( Jaimini ,  Kerala Parashara, Ashtakavarga, Naadi , KP system,....) and global astrology schools with ' history' as a lens to study the mystic'  using language models  from  Greek, Chinese, Ceylonese, Mayan, Western practices of Kabalistic teams.

Therefore, it would probably wiser to first set the ground norms, frame of study, parameters of study, the purpose  and other referential of pedagogy to  study-research in  Jyotisha as a '  Vedic Yoga-Science technique provided to see / infer,  transparently through the Time  and unfoldment of '  forces that are  influencing the  Human life events, thoughts and relations' ( = Karma-Phala- Yogas).

Modern Science teams would address this approach as a research study in understanding the Consciousness - Matter - Time - Thought- Intuition - Life force and fields, Bio-energies......

2. On <  My interest is mainly to assess the truth and validity of that science (satyAnvEshaNa). >

Welcome . Let us  work together, keeping aside all our legacy baggage to one side and start understanding the opening statement from ' Gita' explaining the following terms / statements , critical to Vedanga Jyotisha ( just to begin with). If these three terms , can be aligned to science understanding between 'vedanta frame work', we would have a good start.

                Kaala,  Karma,  Daiva,  Jeeva,  Ashta-Prakruti, Yajna, ' Nakshatraanaam aham shashi', 'daivam chaivaatra panchamam',

3. On <  I heard that some papers  were published which have proven that astrology predictions are more than 60 percent accurate, which is quite a feat, considering the complexity of prediction of future.  Though "60 percent right " may give this science some validity, the bad effects caused by 40 percent erroneous predictions / advice may have wrecked thousands of lives beyond repair! I am interested in understanding the validation studies conducted if any and what to use Astrology for and what not to use it.  >   : :

Even one isolated case of total success or failure could trigger the requisite interest to understand the phenomenon ! When the statistical distribution is 60--40, it would certainly deserve a closer look, objectively.  The  investigation to the VALIDATION SYSTEM FOR VEDNAGA JYOTISHA begins with  understanding the basic template. Soccer cannot be validated using ping-pong game rules.

4. On < My understanding is that the main purpose of astrology was to fix muhurtas for yajnas and yaagas. However, later on, people started extending it to match horoscopes for marriages and predict future events for people.> :

The main purpose of Vedanga Jyotisha is ' Purushartha, Paramartha, Kaala-Brahma- Jijnyaasaa Meemaamsaa Anushaasanam, (tri-)Kaala- Jyoti-Darshanam.

The narrowest, misleading  statement of this is : Vednaga Jyoths  was to fix muhurtas for Yajnas and Yaagas.  The further poorest translation of this concept widespread   misunderstanding is ' Vedic Astrology' is sooth saying craft, match-making table provider, Faith belief system to fool gullible people in the name of 'angry planets' and extract money to please them' !

The 'satya-darshan' samshodhana  needs  'dhana ( investment of time and resources)' and 'shrama' ( effort ) to understand Vedanga Jyotisha and how it serves the purpose of 'Veda'.

If the purpose of veda is wrongly postulated as a ' ritual science (Yajna-karma) '; and 'Vedanta ( philosophy) as high thinking to find ultimate truth through rational reason (tarka) alone',   then Vedanga Jyotisha satya will never come out of its shell !   Some of the names in Vishnu Sahasranama will then become meaningless !

Regards

BVK Sastry

Narayan Prasad

Oct 12, 2019, 8:10:48 PM10/12/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste.

<<My interest is mainly to assess the truth and validity of that science>>

In this regard, it is worthwhile going through the Introduction part (pp.xxiii-lxxv) of the Saptarishi Nadi,, Kataka Lagna (1958) by C.G. Rajan.

Regards
Narayan Prasad