SN Sriramadeshikan

Shrivathsa B

Oct 16, 2017, 7:48:52 AM10/16/17
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
hariH OM,

   I came across this interesting post about shrii SN Sriramadeshikan.

   Does anyone in the group have the CD of his complete works? It seems that the author of the article got a CD but except for a few files all others are corrupt. It will be a great service if those books are uploaded online.

svasti,
      bhavaaniibhaaratii jayatetamaam,
                                                     shrivathsa.

Srinivasakrishnan ln

Oct 16, 2017, 8:30:07 AM10/16/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I dont think there's such a thing. His career spanned 7 decades - many of his works maybe out of print. His web site is now not accessible but it did have a cell number, I think, of his grand daughter. That maybe the way to pursue further. btw, the CD may not be corrupt. It may be non Unicode.

One thing's for sure - soft copies of his works dont exist generally speaking. He specialized in translating difficult and ancient Tamil poems into Sanskrit like the Kalittokai, Paripāṭal, kamparāmāyaṇam  etc. His tirukkuṛaḷ translation, published in 1961, should be easily available. Some years ago, a tirukkural enthusiast and official of the Wildlife Trust of India, Mr NVK Ashraf, took his wife's help and typed the entire sanskrit text in Unicode and posted it on one of his web pages. It may still be available. You may want to ask the ever helpful Sri Shankara who's on this forum about a soft copy.

I have read Sri SNS's tirukkural translation a while ago. It reads very well in Sanskrit and is arguably better than any English or Hindi translation I have ever read. Samskrtasri, a quality Sanskrit monthly from Kanchipuram, has been running a Sanskrit translation of the tirukkuṛaḷ, by another scholar and ascetic,  for a few years now. The Samskrtasri runs one decade i.e., 10 verses, every issue. The tirukkuṛaḷ has 1,330 verses in all.

SNS's translation of the tirukkuṛaḷ deserves similar air time. His other translations too deserve preservation in digital media.

Hope this helps,

Srini

shankara

Oct 16, 2017, 9:09:58 AM10/16/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

A few works of SN Sriramadesikan were available at DLI and they must now be there at archive.org in different pages. I have compiled them to a single page at

The works uploaded are:
1. Kamba Ramayanam - Balakandam in Sanskrit - SN Srirama Desikan 1964 (LR)
2. Nupura Kavyam (Silappadhikaram Pukarkandam) - Sri Rama Desikan 1968
3. Pathuppattu in Sanskrit - SN Sriramadesikan 1972
4. Shri Andal's Tiruppavai - SN Sriramadesikan 1961
5. Tirukkural Sanskrit Translation - SN Sriramadesikan (Courtesy: NK Ashraff's site)
6. Vemana Padyamulu In Sanskrit Slokas - S N Srirama Desikan 1962

The above collection contains only Vemana Padyamulu from the CD. So, if anyone has a copy of the CD of SNS's works, please share the contents via Google drive or archive.org.

regards
shankara

Madhav Deshpande

Oct 16, 2017, 9:37:36 AM10/16/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shankaraji,

     Thanks for this wonderful collection.

Madhav Deshpande
Campbell, California, USA

V Subrahmanian

Oct 16, 2017, 1:36:59 PM10/16/17
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Dear Sri Shankara,

In the satyavijayi.com website that was referred to in the first post by Sri B.Shrivathsa, there is an entry under the paragraph:

A stellar profile

In a very detailed article in The Hindu (1) (coincidentally exactly six years before I sat down to read the article then!), Shri Neduntheru S. Kannan lists the indefatigable works of Shri. S.N. Sriramadesikan (or SNS in short for ease of use in this article):

'Sanga noolgalil vaidika kalācchāram' (a research work) - Apparently it is in Tamil. [The title means: the vedic culture in the literature of the Sangam period]

Is it possible to access this document? Your help is requested.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v

shankara

Oct 17, 2017, 12:37:03 AM10/17/17
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT, V Subrahmanian
Subbuji,

I could not find this book on the internet. The contact details of SNS is given at archived pages of the erstwhile website in his name. You could try to contact his family members at this address.

Kalaimamani Shri. S.N. Sriramadesikan
D-5, TURN BULLS ROAD,
NANDANAM
CHENNAI - 600035