This Week on KKFI

Mike Murphy

Mar 13, 2017, 4:15:06 PM3/13/17
to Mike Murphy

Friend,

  I hope you remember to move your clocks ahead.  The times, they are indeed a-changin'!  Here are some of this week's programs we have to keep up with the changing times:

Tuesday

The Soul Of America with Jacob Needleman, Ph.D. (ENCORE)MARCH 14, 2017 | 5:00 AM
ON NEW DIMENSIONS

Needleman’s portraits of Washington, Jefferson and other famous historical figures ignites our imagination, and instills in us a deep reverence and appreciation for the unwavering vision that was necessary to establish our government.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

The Passing of Attorney Lynne Stewart; and Micheal Ratner and 50 Years of The Center For Constitutional RightsMARCH 14, 2017 | 9:00 AM
ON LAW AND DISORDER

Heidi Boghosian and Michael Smith remember the courageous people's lawyer Lynne Stewart and we listen back to a past interview. Michael Ratner was the President of the Center for Constitutional Rights abd co-founded Law and Disorder Radio.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

Muslims and Jews, Uniting Against HateMARCH 14, 2017 | 12:00 PM
ON INTERFAITH VOICES

As hate crimes against American Muslims and Jews surge, so does solidarity between the two minority religious groups. Stories of people who rolled up their sleeves to help.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

Nancy Altman on Trumpcare, Kris Hayashi on Transgender Non-RulingMARCH 14, 2017 | 6:30PM
ON COUNTERSPIN

What do Trump-backed changes in healthcare mean for the millions of people with disabilities and senior citizens who rely on Medicare and Medicaid?
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More
Wednesday

St. Pat’s PreviewMARCH 15, 2017 | 6:00 AM
ON YOUR MORNING BUZZ: WEDNESDAY

Mike Murphy plays music for Saint Patrick's Day. Connie Dover joins Mike between 7:00 and 7:30 am to discuss here upcoming performance with Kelly Werts.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

Gender EqualityMARCH 15, 2017 | 9:00 AM
ON ALTERNATIVE RADIO

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. She was director of the ACLU Women’s Rights Project. She argued 5 cases before the Supreme Court, winning four of them. She served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia for thirteen years before being appointed to the Supreme Court by President Clinton in 1993. She turns 84 this month, and in her 24 years on the nation’s highest court she has never missed a day on the bench.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

“What Now?” with Burdett LoomisMARCH 15, 2017 | 6:00 PM
ON ALL SOULS FORUM

Burdett Loomis, professor of political science at the University of Kansas, will share with us some ideas on where the "Trumpification" and national and local politics may be leading us. We will be discussing what our government now looks like and what parts we may be able to play in the future.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

The Irish WildernessMARCH 15, 2017 | 11:30 PM
ON FROM ARK TO MICROCHIP

“Part composition, part hörspiel...The Irish Wilderness uses field recordings of the ‘wondrous springs’ of Ripley and Oregon counties, Missouri, interleaved with ‘traditional tunes known to the Irish Catholics (circa 1859)’ to document the tragic history of the Irish settlers...”
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More
 Thursday

GS Griffin – Racism in KCMARCH 16, 2017 | 9:00 AM
ON KHADIJAH & THE WHITE GUY

GS Griffin, "why did a 29 year old white guy want to write a book about racism?" As always, we'll be taking YOUR calls. 816-931-5534
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

Women Rising Radio 33: With Healers At Standing RockMARCH 16, 2017 | 12:30 PM
ON MAKING CONTACT

Dr. Rupa Marya is a physician on the faculty of UCSF, and an activist who formed the Do No Harm Coalition at UCSF. Dr. Maria Michael is a Lakota Dine spiritual elder and healer with a Ph.d in psychology. Dr. Revery Barnes is a physician working on HIV/AIDS at Harbor UCLA in Los Angeles. All three women went to Standing Rock
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

Remembering RachelMARCH 16, 2017 | 7:00 PM
ON THURSDAY NIGHT SPECIAL

On March 16th, 2003, American Rachel Corrie was killed as she placed her body between Palestinian homes and Israeli-American bulldozers. We remember this champion of human rights on the 14th anniversary of her death.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
 Read More
 Friday

Gender EqualityMARCH 17, 2017 | 9:30 AM
ON BIONEERS

Today gender reconciliation is a burgeoning new movement for transformational healing. Gender reconciliation visionaries Pat McCabe, Cynthia Brix, Will Keepin and Pele Rouge share powerful stories of transformation from the personal to the societal, including the nation of South Africa.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More
 Saturday

From Canada To CarolinaMARCH 18, 2017 | 7:00 AM
ON MUSIC CITY ROOTS

We hope you enjoy this show that starts with traditional fiddling and ends with Southern rock and roll. Guests include April Verch, Reuben Bidez, Sam Bush, Broomstix and Dead 27s.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More

Life as DiversityMARCH 18, 2017 | 2:30 PM
ON WINGS

This week, we present the second and final part of a speech delivered in California by Dr. Vandana Shiva. This week, she speaks more to solutions, especially solutions based in human rights allied to rights of nature.
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare
Read More
 Sunday

MARCH 18, 2017 | 4-7AM
ON BEFORE THE DAWN

Join us on the late night airwaves as we spread some Doo Wop education your way. Featuring (up) beat poetry and musical selections from Rashi and Pop Freeling to bring back the memories and create some new ones.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Share

 HOLI! HOLI! HOLI! March 19, 2017 | 3:00 p.m. On Global Roots Radio
it's Holi time on the India Show with Lakshmi and Venkat!
Read More

Stay tuned,

Mike Murphy

90.1FM KKFI
Kansas City Community Radio

Mike Murphy

Mar 20, 2017, 3:56:07 PM3/20/17
to Mike Murphy

 Friend,

  The first day of Spring feels like the first day of Summer.  Here are this week's vernal vessels of vibrancy that we are offering:

Monday
 Air Pollution and Criminal Activity: Evidence from Chicago Microdata March 20, 2017 | 6:00 pm
On EcoRadio KC
 Erich Muehlegger is an Associate Professor of Economics and the Chair of the Graduate Program at the University of California, Davis, and a faculty research fellow of the National Bureau of Economics Research. We'll speak with him about his co-authored paper "Air Pollution and Criminal Activity: Evidence from Chicago Microdata".

Tuesday
 Understanding Everything with Ervin Laszlo, Ph.D. (ENCORE) March 21, 2017 | 5:00 am
On New Dimensions
 Ervin Laszlo talks about politics, economics, culture, consciousness, ecology, sustainability, and spirituality, all with the deftness of one who understands the unfolding of universes as well as the nature of particulate matter.

 Danny Graves and the Damn Union on the Tasty Brew March 21, 2017 | 6:00 am
On Your Morning Buzz: Tuesday
 Live in the studio this week with Diana Linn on the Tasty Brew will be Danny Graves and the DAMN Union from Las Cruces, New Mexico and Ralph Tomlinson from the Olathe Public Library Live Music Concert Series.

 Why The Rise Of Fascism Is Again The Issue March 21, 2017 | 9:00 am
Law and Disorder
 looks at the seeds of fascism within the Trump Administration and references excerpts of the recent article "A Short History of the Trump Family" by Simon Blumenthal.
 Welcoming the Stranger March 21, 2017 | 12:00 pm On Interfaith Voices President Trump's travel ban is on ice, but the questions it raises--who’s in, and who’s out-- well, sacred texts have been looking at that forever.

 Dr Richard Wolff Explains How Trump Got Elected March 21, 2017 | 06:00 pm On Radio Active Magazine Radical economist and renowned author Dr Richard Wolff explains how a candidate as outrageous as Donald J Trump was able to appeal to the most oppressed working class voters to win the 2016 presidential election.

 Tony Romano on Housing Cuts, Robert Dreyfuss on Iraq War Intel March 21, 2017 | 6:30pm
On Counterspin
Team Trump says that programs that support affordable housing for families, the elderly, and people with disabilities haven’t “justified their existence.” How do we fight back with a different vision of housing and community?

Wednesday
 Al Jarreau & Julio Martinez 1968-2017 March 22, 2017 | 5:00 am On Pacifica Radio Archives’ “From the Vault”, We celebrate the life of Al Jarreau who had a connection with Pacifica beginning in 1968 that held strong until his death on February 12, 2017.
 An Indigenous Economic Model March 22, 2017 | 9:00 am On Alternative Radio Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz grew up in rural Oklahoma, the daughter of a tenant farmer and part-Indian mother. She has been active in the international Indigenous movement for more than four decades and is known for her lifelong commitment to social justice issues. Her 1977 book The Great Sioux Nation was the fundamental document at the first international conference on Indigenous peoples of the Americas, held at UN headquarters in Geneva. She is the author of An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States, winner of the 2015 American Book Award and All the Real Indians Died Off and 20 Other Myths about Native Americans.

 Wednesday MidDay Medley features Gamelan Genta Kasturi + Haymaker Records + Run With It March 22, 2017 | 10:00 am On Wednesday MidDay Medley Mark plays more New & MidCoastal releases from: Run With It, Akkilles, Hermon Mehari, Crystal Rose, Rae Fitzgerald, Kemet The Phantom, Mysterious Clouds, Kristie Stremel, The Sexy Accident, Goldfrapp, Judith Owen, Roxy Music, and Chuck Berry. At 10:30 Patrick Alonzo Conway joins us to discuss the Gamelan Genta Kasturi. At 11:00, Mark welcomes Brenton Cook joins us to talk about The Fairgrounds Vol. 2 Release Party, . At 11:30 AM, members of the band Run With It join us to play live and talk about their EP.

 ARTSPEAK RADIO- Patrick Dobson, Pablo Sanhueza, Steven Curtis, Diosselyn Tot-Velasquez, and Boris Tudeth March 22, 2017 | 12:00 pm On Artspeak Radio Host/producer Maria Vasquez Boyd talks with writer Patrick Dobson, musician Pablo Sanhueza, community activist Steven Curtis, and performer Boris Tudeth.

 “The Climate Emergency: The Case for Immediate Action” with Craig Wolfe March 22, 2017 | 6:00 pm On All Souls Forum Craig Wolfe, President of the Heartland Renewable Energy Society, recently received intensive training from Al Gore's Climate Reality Project. He will discuss why we should consider the climate an emergency, and how we can and must respond in the current state of our politics.

 Philly Soul Folks & Louisiana Swamp Pop, 3/22/2017 March 22, 2017 | 7:00 pm
On American Routes
 featuring John Oates and Johnny Allan

 Truman on Energy March 22, 2017 | 11:30 pm On From Ark to Microchip From plowing Grandview fields with a bull‐tongue, to crafting the Rural Electrification Act, to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki…Harry S. Truman re‐enactor Raymond Starzmann explores energy policy from the past with implications for our future.

Thursday
I think most people would agree that Henry Lyons is successful, and he's African American. How did he do it? We'll ask him on Thursday... and YOU can call and ask your questions too!

 The Tenuous Future of Grassroots Radio March 23, 2017 | 12:00 pm On Sprouts Under threat from large organizations like National Public Radio, college and community radio stations are losing their place on the airwaves. Today we hear some of their stories and look at what the future might hold.
 Reclaiming Public Schools: Education in the Trump Era March 23, 2017 | 12:30 pm
On Making Contact
 , we look at two major changes to statewide curriculum in California, and where schools nationwide may be headed under Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

Unless Missouri unions develop a way to block it, Missouri will become the 28th right to work state on August 28th. How can our unions – and workers - survive it? Or is there a strategy to reverse it?

Friday
 Surviving and Fighting Right to Work March 24, 2017 | 5:00 am On Heartland Labor Forum (Repeat) Unless Missouri unions develop a way to block it, Missouri will become the 28th right to work state on August 28th. How can our unions – and workers - survive it? Or is there a strategy to reverse it?

 In Pursuit of Happiness: Becoming Beloved Community March 24, 2017 | 9:30 am
On Bioneers
 Can humanity overcome divisions such as race, class, nation, religion, and gender roles to come together to solve the planetary emergency that threatens our common home? Civil liberties and legal scholar john a. powell and social justice advocate Grace Bauer show how Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s vision of "beloved community" can overcome conflict, separation and the burdens of history to transcend our fear of the "Other" and work together to heal our societies and the Earth.

Saturday
 Greg Trooper, The Sweetback Sisters, Derek St Holmes, James Intveld, and Shawn Camp March 25, 2017 | 7:00 am On Music City Roots At its core, our show and the Americana movement are inspired by pure country music, and it seems lately we’ve had at least one strong dose of that in nearly every show. This week's episode features the likes of Greg Trooper, The Sweetback Sisters, Derek St Holmes, James Intveld, and Shawn Camp.

 BLUES KITCHEN LIVE! FEAT. LIGHTNIN MALCOLM AND KATY GUILLEN & THE GIRLS March 25, 2017 | 8:00 am  Blues Kitchen has another live broadcast for BB's Lawnside BBQ. Listen at home, or come on out to the event that morning and support KKFI.

 The Gentle Plaintiffs March 25, 2017 | 2:30 pm On WINGS A 2015 change to the courts in China has allowed more than 200,000 people to file complaints against former leader of China Jiang Zemin for the campaign he originated to persecute and eliminate Falun Gong practitioners. We present this documentary in which women who have suffered and others speak out.

Sunday
 Joe Crookston March 26, 2017 | 7:00 am On Art of the Song Our guest this week on Art of the Song is renaissance man, Joe Crookston. He is a songwriter, guitarist, painter, fiddler, slide player, eco-village member and believer in all things possible.