A Personal Plea to Support the 2012 TMS Conference

Jeffrey Sterling

Sep 25, 2012, 7:38:05 PM9/25/12

Friends,

As many of you know, my family has been afflicted with a rare disease known as mastocytosis. Since my wife and several of our kids have been diagnosed with the disease we have worked to give back by volunteering for The Mastocytosis Society, Inc. (TMS). For the first time ever TMS is holding their annual conference in the Pacific Northwest. The conference will be held in Bellevue, Washington from October 11 – 14 and embraces the theme “An Integrative Approach to Mast Cell Disorders” by focusing on empathetic patient centered care. Over the course of three days physicians, patients, family members, caregivers and others with an interest in mast cell disorders will participate in educational, interactive and supportive sessions while learning about the latest advances in mast cell disease research. I am making a personal request for you to support the TMS conference by donating at <http://www.tmsforacure.org/conference/2012/2012_conference.php>. We need donations to help pay for the conference. Conference registration alone can't cover all the costs.

Mastocytosis and Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD) are caused by excess and/or hyper-reactive mast cells in the body. These illnesses can severely affect the lives of children and adults of all ages. There is no known cure, and symptoms may include anaphylaxis, food intolerance, skin rashes, itching, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fainting, headaches, bone pain and brain fog. Triggers include, but are not limited to heat or cold, fragrances, certain foods, friction, physical, emotional or environmental stress, insect stings and more.

Mastocytosis and MCAD are not well known and are often misunderstood. Due to the lack of awareness and knowledge, patients are often misdiagnosed and therefore do not receive the most appropriate treatment. They may suffer needlessly for many years prior to obtaining a proper diagnosis. Hosting the conference in the Pacific Northwest is an important opportunity to enhance the awareness and knowledge of both medical professionals and community members in an area of the country where TMS has never held a major Annual Conference!

Thank you for your generous contribution to The Mastocytosis Society! <http://www.tmsforacure.org/conference/2012/2012_conference.php>

Jeff Sterling
425 299 1969