installworld error: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY, DSC, ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=28071584

Anton Shterenlikht

Jan 4, 2013, 6:09:07 AM1/4/13
to freebsd...@freebsd.org, spa...@bristol.ac.uk
I got this error on make installworld:

===> sbin/dhclient (install)
install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 dhclient /sbin
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=28071584
g_vfs_done():ad0a[READ(offset=14372651008, length=16384)]error = 5
vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 12794 (install)
install: /sbin/dhclient: Bad address
*** [_proginstall] Error code 71

Stop in /usr/src/sbin/dhclient.
*** [realinstall] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sbin.
*** [realinstall] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** [reinstall] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** [installworld] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

What's going on?

This is on sparc64 SunBlade 1500 silver,
updating to r244988.

The disk is:

# gpart show ad0
=> 0 234432720 ad0 VTOC8 (111G)
0 41946480 1 !0 (20G)
41946480 33558000 2 !0 (16G)
75504480 158928240 4 !0 (75G)

#

# df
Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0a 40620236 21769888 15600732 58% /
devfs 2 2 0 100% /dev
#

I've run fsck -p before installworld,
and didn't see any problems.

Thanks

Anton

Anton Shterenlikht

Jan 4, 2013, 6:23:58 AM1/4/13
to freebsd...@freebsd.org, freebsd...@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:09:07 GMT
From: Anton Shterenlikht <me...@bristol.ac.uk>
Is my disk dying?

# fsck
** /dev/ad0a (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /
** Root file system
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=23328672

CANNOT READ BLK: 23328608
CONTINUE? [yn]

Bas Smeelen

Jan 4, 2013, 6:41:56 AM1/4/13
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
I don't know if smartmontools work for sparc64 though

> # fsck
> ** /dev/ad0a (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /
> ** Root file system
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=23328672
>
> CANNOT READ BLK: 23328608
> CONTINUE? [yn]
>
> Thanks
>
> Anton

*Bas Smeelen*
/System administrator/
b.sm...@ose.nl <mailto:b.sm...@ose.nl>

Dr. Nolenslaan 157
6136GM Sittard
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 (0) 46 4200 933
Fax: +31 (0) 46 4200 934
www.ose.nl <http://www.ose.nl>

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is confidential and
intended solely for the addressee. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to
you by mistake, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission,
and delete the message and its attachments without disclosing them.
Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of OverNite Software Europe bv.

Bas Smeelen

Jan 4, 2013, 6:40:24 AM1/4/13
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
On 01/04/2013 12:23 PM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
Diagnose with sysutils/smartmontools

> # fsck
> ** /dev/ad0a (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /
> ** Root file system
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=23328672
>
> CANNOT READ BLK: 23328608
> CONTINUE? [yn]
>
> Thanks
>
> Anton

*Bas Smeelen*
/System administrator/
b.sm...@ose.nl <mailto:b.sm...@ose.nl>

Dr. Nolenslaan 157
6136GM Sittard
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 (0) 46 4200 933
Fax: +31 (0) 46 4200 934
www.ose.nl <http://www.ose.nl>

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is confidential and
intended solely for the addressee. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to
you by mistake, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission,
and delete the message and its attachments without disclosing them.
Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of OverNite Software Europe bv.

Garrett Cooper

Jan 4, 2013, 9:48:48 AM1/4/13
to me...@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd...@freebsd.org, freebsd...@freebsd.org
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <me...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> Is my disk dying?

Uncorrectable read errors suggest yes (especially because the LBA
varies between the two error messages). I would definitely backup your
data at the very least, and as others suggested use smartmontools [via
a livecd?].
Cheers,
-Garrett