Job to work improving brython

kikocorreoso

Dec 16, 2017, 11:54:05 AM12/16/17
to bry...@googlegroups.com
I think this could be of interest for the list:

https://www.python.org/jobs/2975/

It seems it was posted by Andreas.

:-)

Pierre Quentel

Dec 17, 2017, 3:40:12 PM12/17/17
to brython
Thanks Kiko for mentioning this.

As for the discussion on bounties a few weeks ago, I want to make it clear
once again that I don't want anyone to get paid anything for contributions
to Brython.

I sent a message to the contact on the job offer saying that I will not
accept such contributions, for instance that I would not accept Pull Requests
on the Github site, regardless of the improvements they would bring.

Brendan Barnwell

Dec 28, 2017, 4:22:56 AM12/28/17
to brython

You seem to be saying not only that you do not want to be paid, but that anyone accepting any money for working on Brython is totally barred from contributing to the project.  Do you even mean, for instance, that if someone is a salaried developer and their employer agrees to let them spend 10% of their work hours on Brython, you would not accept their contributions?  Can you explain why you are taking such an extreme position?

People get paid to work on all kinds of open source projects --- Linux, Pandas, even Python itself --- without compromising the open and free nature of those projects.  I'm very appreciative of all the (free) work that you and others are doing on Brython, but I fear that adopting such an extreme stance against any form of payment may actually be harmful to the health of Brython in the long term, not because we risk missing out on new developers who want payment, but because we risk cutting off existing developers if someone decides they want to pay them for the work they're already doing for free.

Pierre Quentel

Dec 28, 2017, 8:08:32 AM12/28/17
to brython
What I want to avoid is any risk of conflict between the core developers and someone who would get paid for his work on Brython. Consciously or not, we would feel a pressure to accept contributions because it has an impact on the salary (maybe) or the reputation (certainly) of the employee in his company. I want to remain free of this kind of pressure.

I accept the risk of missing valuable contributions because of this point of view, and I respect of course all the projects who think differently.

Eric S. Johansson

Dec 28, 2017, 6:18:12 PM12/28/17
to brython

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 8:08:32 AM UTC-5, Pierre Quentel wrote:
What I want to avoid is any risk of conflict between the core developers and someone who would get paid for his work on Brython. Consciously or not, we would feel a pressure to accept contributions because it has an impact on the salary (maybe) or the reputation (certainly) of the employee in his company. I want to remain free of this kind of pressure.

I accept the risk of missing valuable contributions because of this point of view, and I respect of course all the projects who think differently.

thank you for explaining. would you feel the same way if there was blinding mechanism so you could not tell who got paid?   how about If I paid someone to be my hands[1] and write code but gave the code I designed to the project as a gift?

--- eric

[1] I've probably mentioned this to folks before but nerve damage in my hands keeps me from writing code. *IF* I was going to contribute code, it would have to be code somebody else wrote according to my direction

Pierre Quentel

Dec 29, 2017, 4:40:30 PM12/29/17
to brython
I shouldn't say that, but I am a member of the Breton Intelligence Agency, and we are trained to detect such mischievous behaviour ;-)

Christophe BAL (via GMAIL)

Dec 29, 2017, 5:32:02 PM12/29/17
to bry...@googlegroups.com
Ça sent la gouren (en espérant ne pas me planter car j'ai trouvé cela
sur le net).  :-)

--
Christophe BAL
Enseignant Agrégé de Mathématiques