Brython on ios and android

dan d.

Nov 21, 2015, 3:34:31 PM11/21/15
to brython
Hello everyone,

Is it normal that Brython does not work on Safari on ios 7 (iPad) and on the built in browser in android 4.4?

If its indeed the case, it makes things difficult to choose Brython for a real world web app. As ios and android devices are pretty common.

Thanks
Dan

Kiko

Nov 21, 2015, 5:38:21 PM11/21/15
to bry...@googlegroups.com
I've never had a problem on android (I don't use apple devices). Even
I created an android app using a WebView:
https://github.com/kikocorreoso/SimpleAgenda

What issues are you finding?

Pierre Quentel

Nov 21, 2015, 5:39:44 PM11/21/15
to brython
Hello Dan,

I just tested brython.info, the home page shows correctly on :
- Chrome on a basic Samsung (Galaxy Pocket) on Android 4.4.2
- Chrome and Firefox on a Sony M4 Acqua on Android 5.0
- Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy S3 tablet on Android 4.4.2

It doesn't work with Safari on an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1.2, and neither on the Android browser on the Samsung tablet. I will try to investigate this (there is at least one known issue : the version on brython.info uses the Javascript keyword "of" which is probably not yet supported by these browsers).

dan d.

Nov 22, 2015, 5:12:24 AM11/22/15
to brython
Salut Pierre,

Yes I was referring to the built in web browser in Android. I did notice it works when using the chrome or Firefox browsers. But often people tend to use the default browser in ios android

dan d.

Nov 23, 2015, 3:40:50 PM11/23/15
to brython
Hello Pierre

Does the latest version of Brython fix this issue? (use of the JS "of" keyword)

thanks
Dan

Pierre Quentel

Nov 23, 2015, 4:47:12 PM11/23/15
to brython

Le lundi 23 novembre 2015 21:40:50 UTC+1, dan d. a écrit :
Hello Pierre

Does the latest version of Brython fix this issue? (use of the JS "of" keyword)

thanks
Dan

Not with version 3.2.3, but I think it should work with the latest commit (3f3b80f) ; there was a bug with the method getAttributeNS() of DOM elements. When an attribute is not defined, this method returns null for Firefox and Chrome, but the empty string for the Android browser and Safari...

I tested the Brython home page and a few tests in the gallery on the Samsung tablet and the iPhone mentioned above, it works. Can you try on your devices ?

dan d.

Nov 25, 2015, 5:47:48 PM11/25/15
to brython
I just tested on the iOS IPad and the brython.info website loaded without crashing. It took a while.
And other demos in the galleries worked as well.

I also tried with the built-in browser in Android 4.4 and that seems to choke...
Tried the brython.info home page a couple of times on Android. I saw the clock 1 time but it was frozen. The needle was not moving.
And for the other attempts, the homepage did not load.

So its not perfect, but it is much better than what I had last time I tested, meaning: brython did not work, at all, on the 2 devices with Safari on the iOS side and the built-in browser on Android.

Do you have anyother leads on making brython run smoother on those 2 mobile web browsers ?

Dan

dan d.

Nov 26, 2015, 2:43:57 PM11/26/15
to brython
I was able to load the brython homepage with the built in Android (4.4.x) browser. It was long to load though.

Dan

dan d.

Dec 12, 2015, 5:24:13 PM12/12/15
to brython
I was going to use Brython for a personal mobile web app project. But I keep running into the same problem.

The mobile web app runs on iOS, now that Pierre made a recent update to the library. But my app does not work under the built-in Android 4.4.x browser.
But I don't think it is an application bug. My mobile web app runs fine under Android 4.4.x if I use it in the Chrome or FireFox browsers. It just does not work with the built-in browser.

For the time being I'm going to revert back to JavaScript / JQuery for my mobile web app. Kind of a shame really... but  Android 4.4.x browser is still commonly used and I want my web app to be available to as many browsers as possible...

Cheers,
Dan

Pierre Quentel

Dec 14, 2015, 3:59:56 AM12/14/15
to brython

Le samedi 12 décembre 2015 23:24:13 UTC+1, dan d. a écrit :
I was going to use Brython for a personal mobile web app project. But I keep running into the same problem.

The mobile web app runs on iOS, now that Pierre made a recent update to the library. But my app does not work under the built-in Android 4.4.x browser.
But I don't think it is an application bug. My mobile web app runs fine under Android 4.4.x if I use it in the Chrome or FireFox browsers. It just does not work with the built-in browser.

For the time being I'm going to revert back to JavaScript / JQuery for my mobile web app. Kind of a shame really...
Yes, it's too bad... Can you upload the application that works in Firefox but not with the Android browser somewhere so I can try to see what goes wrong ?