Re: [browscap] lolwut

James Titcumb

Aug 21, 2016, 5:16:22 AM8/21/16
to browscap on behalf of Mahirrudin Alkhoir

Hi there,

I'm afraid we don't support the GaretJax library, and are aware it can go overboard with requests (causing bans like this). FYI, the ban routine is publicly available on https://github.com/browscap/browscap-site/blob/master/src/BrowscapSite/Tool/RateLimiter.php so you can see how it works if you really need, or a summary on https://browscap.org/

I highly recommend using our official PHP library from https://github.com/browscap/browscap-php instead - we've recently released the 3.0 series which has a new API.

In the mean time, I've unbanned your IP so you may continue! Sorry for the hassle, but we've been burnt by a huge amount of bot spam and so on, meaning these restrictions are necessary. You only need to download the file once every so often, the contents change approximately once a month ;)

Thanks
James

On 21 Aug 2016 03:30, "Egor Vinogradov via browscap" <browscap+APn2wQdEFhmDT_SSE9nO6F4n2hSXawrJLdtjLKaWEIiWvg40T...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi,

I just installed https://github.com/GaretJax/phpbrowscap according to the wiki:
https://github.com/GaretJax/phpbrowscap/wiki/QuickStart#setup-without-composer

It didn't work: I got an error "file_get_contents('http://browscap.org/stream?q=Full_PHP_BrowsCapINI') failed to open stream: HTTP request failed!"

So I started investigating and tried to replace file_get_contents with curl. During this, I reloaded my page about 5 times after which I got:

"Rate limit exceeded for 178.210.90.90. You have been permantly banned for abuse."

What?
I only reloaded 5 times. Does it always work like this? Can it break any time because of "abuse"?