Identifying "generic" browsers

Robert Labrie

Nov 12, 2014, 9:04:29 AM11/12/14
to brow...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My browser identification app (TA-browscap_express), write a cache file of previously matched UA strings to speed up subsequent lookups. Basically it writes out your own, personalized browscap.csv file. One thing I do is deliberately avoid caching "Generic" and "Default" browsers, because once a match is made in the cache file, the app never goes to the full browscap.csv file.

My question is: What's the best way to identify these? Currently I look for " Generic" (note the space) or "Default" in the comment field. Is there a column which identifies this sort of "incomplete data"? Could there be?

James Titcumb

Nov 12, 2014, 1:22:05 PM11/12/14
to browscap on behalf of Robert Labrie

Hi Robert

There is no official way of checking for these... I'd say looking for Default is a pretty good bet, although no promises :)

Thanks
James