Introduce yourself

OricTosh

Mar 22, 2012, 4:03:22 AM3/22/12
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
I would class myself as an IT technician, with degree in software engineering, few years experience supporting users and removing spam, viruses, malware from computers.

I'm interested in the Raspberry Pi due to it's small size and it's low cost computing.
I would also like to use it build an Autonomous RC car which will use the Pi for high-end processing and Arduino for the sensor and motor control.
I have an Arduino, which I'm using to re-start programing and build the RC car part of this project, then once the my Pi arrives I can bolt it onto that project so that the development environment is on the car's chassis and within in it. (so independent of any other device, apart from the Arduino and Raspberry Pi

Pete

Mar 22, 2012, 11:15:50 AM3/22/12
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
Im Pete,

Coder, generally making games on web and devices such as IOS and android.  Really interested in trying to reach kids who may be interested in coding - and offering them some kind of alternative to just turning the xbox on.  Im not quite sure what this means as yet - but I have some initial ideas - and am sure I will meet others along the way.

Not a huge expert with linux though - so would a place where i can share tips and such like.

Luke1972

Jun 22, 2012, 4:50:26 AM6/22/12
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

Still waiting for my Pi to be made and delivered so nothing much to post about from me yet.  Whilst I'm a keen tinkerer and do IT support for Windows, Mac and Linux desktops I'm not a master of any of them.  When my Pi does arrive I'm hoping to use it along with some of the many learn to code resources that have popped up.

Oh and I live in Hove, not Brighton.  :)

Graham

Jun 19, 2013, 8:33:26 AM6/19/13
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thought I'd drop a message to say hi and see what the group is up to.

Got my Pi a few weeks ago, with the intention of running it as a personal server. So far I've got TT-RSS running on it to replace the defunct Google Reader, and miniDLNA to stream media to my phone. Both seem to work pretty well.

Next up, looking at Octopress and maybe running a Perl site, but not decided yet if it should be running 24/7. Getting into the idea of using Bittorrent as a distributed hosting system, which allows devices to sync when they're on, but not be on all the time.

Anyway, hope you're all enjoying yours.

Cheers,
Graham

David

Jun 19, 2013, 9:06:59 AM6/19/13
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham
Thank you for the update - my pi is still pretty much unused. I am not a technical kind of guy so still struggling what to do with it. Are there any local starter groups I can look at to get a bit of interest.
Any help appreciated

David
Sent from my iPad

stamati crook

Sep 9, 2013, 3:25:34 AM9/9/13
to brigh...@googlegroups.com

 I run a software business here in Brighton (www.redware.com - mainly Microsoft C# websites and CRM) and have three children and a wife who is a primary school teacher and sometimes run sessions for kids to learn Programming with Scratch in schools around Brighton and Hove. I have a Rasberry Pi which runs Scratch and am interested in helping schools start to use the Pi in the classroom and also in interfacing hardware with the Pi. Saw the Brighton Pi stand at this years Brighton Digital Festival and interested in coming to any meetings especially builder/maker type things with the Pi.
If you read this and are interested in scratch - come to our Scratch sessions on Saturday 14 September 2013 - adults only at 12.30 ... http://www.brightondigitalfestival.co.uk/events/scratch

Stamati Crook.... www.redware.com

Mark Treagus

Jun 15, 2014, 6:57:04 AM6/15/14
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
Hi my name is Mark

I have a background in embedded/system engineering and RF design and have spent a stint as a sysadmin for a large multinational. My interest in the Pi mostly stemmed from a mixture of things, the three key ones being price, availability and it can run Linux.

Projects so far have been mostly related to RF and computer security, ranging from aircraft and satellite tracking to VPN servers and IDS systems.

Going forward I want to get the Raspberry group back up and running and get a Raspberry Jam going on maybe quarterly bases at Build Brighton.

Rash

Jun 15, 2014, 9:21:59 AM6/15/14
to brigh...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark.

Your post has caught my attention due to a shared interest in RF.

I'm interested in software defined transmission and reception, and have some Pis, USRPs, RTL2832 based receiver sticks, and a home-built SDR transmitter (tested on Ubuntu i386, but not ARM) based on a QDUC IC, a MIMIC, and a couple of filters.

Having been a radio engineer for 20+ years, I'm more of a hardware guy, but I can hack together scripts etc but I know little about writing code. however, I am keen to explore the potential the Pi has now that a library for carrying out FFTs in the GPU.

I'd be interested in attending a Pi meet up which covered interesting RF topics!

Regards,

Rash.

Sent from my iPad