Portafilter spout problem after cleaning

Ken Krone

Apr 2, 2006, 9:12:13 PM4/2/06
to bre...@googlegroups.com
I became a bit compulsive today and removed the double spout from the
portafilter to clean it. When I replaced it, it was so clean that I can
apparently screw it another 1/4 turn, because instead of the spout being
oriented left-right, it is now oriented front-back. If I loosen the
spout 1/4 turn, it is slightly loose and will easily turn.

Is there a gasket that fit onto the nipple of the portafilter and sealed
the nipple and the receptacle of the spout? What am I missing here?

It is not that great a deal but I just don't understand it.

Thanks
Ken

Kitt Johnson

Apr 2, 2006, 9:20:27 PM4/2/06
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ken, the pale brown putty that fell out of the grooves is the "extra"
you are missing. You could stick a gasket there, but it isn't really shaped
to preserve the gasket. You can put a tiny spot of silicone in the last
thread on PF (or squeeze it with a pair of needle-nose pliers) and that
should provide enough friction to have the pigtail "stay put" where you want
it. Precision is not a hall mark of Spanish manufacturing, sigh. Kitt

Neil Atwood

Apr 2, 2006, 9:48:10 PM4/2/06
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Or some regular teflon 'plumbers tape' would do the trick as well.
It doesn't come into contact with the flow of coffee, so shouldn't impact taste, etc

Neil A.
Sydney, Oz
http://ministrygrounds.net - A blog about selecting, roasting and drinking fine coffee