proposal: allow adding some word combinations into JVS

la gleki

Jul 3, 2015, 4:32:17 AM7/3/15
to bpfk...@googlegroups.com
It's a well known problem that JVS is meant to be a Lojban2English (or to any other language) dictionary, not vice versa.

Some English words that people are searching for can't appear in JVs since they are expressed using word combinations in Lojban.
Adding new lujvo is not an option: why should we relex English when already existing words can do the trick?

La Muplis (or tatoeba.org, its database) isn't exactly what needed since people are used to dictionaries with isolated words.

So I propose to allow adding these word combinations to JVS:

"TAG brivla", "NAhE brivla".

You may propose allowing other combinations as well.

sphen...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2015, 6:32:00 PM7/3/15
to bpfk...@googlegroups.com
I also propose {la brivla}, to allow for coinages of names without having to define the brivla itself with a place structure. For example, {la dontivni} for YouTube.

Pierre Abbat

Jul 6, 2015, 7:46:12 PM7/6/15
to bpfk...@googlegroups.com
It is, of course, possible for the same brivla to be used as a cmene and as a
selbri. For example, {lo bercribe} means "a polar bear", but {la bercribe}
means "Ursa Minor". (What to call Ursa Major I'm not sure. Ursa Minor's tail
is at the North Pole.)

Also words and phrases can be entered in the Lojban Wiktionary.

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do

sphen...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2015, 6:38:03 AM8/20/15
to BPFK
I think the simplest solution is to just allow any string of Lojban words to be entered as a new category, "phrase". With perhaps an additional category, "name-phrases", for anything beginning with {la}, and possibly also {la'au} and {li'ai}. This will greatly increase flexibility in the handling of non-cmevla names, which might run the whole gamut from being single brivla, to containing sumtcita and numbers, as well as allowing translations for entire book titles.