SQS connection problem

miggins

Jun 19, 2011, 8:41:52 PM6/19/11
to boto-users
I tried to create an SQS queue like

sqs = boto.connect_sqs()
q = sqs.create_queue( 'molala_test_1' )

It's erroring telling me

SQSError: 403 Forbidden
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ErrorResponse xmlns="http://queue.amazonaws.com/doc/
2009-02-01/"><Error><Type>Sender</Type><Code>SignatureDoesNotMatch</
Code><Message>The request signature we calculated does not match the
signature you provided. Check your AWS Secret Access Key and signing
method. Consult the service documentation for details.</
Message><Detail/></Error><RequestId>b875d63d-c783-4be7-a393-
f1c7f06c0fe1</RequestId></ErrorResponse>

Suggests I've got the wrong secret access key, right? I'm confident
I've got the right one though: I can connect to S3 using
s3=boto.connect_s3() and get a bucket just fine, and I installed a
standalone SQS queue manager app as per

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=66440&tstart=0

and when I stick in the same access key id and secret key, it works
fine - I can create queues to my heart's content.

I've tried explicitly passing in the access key info to connect_sqs;
I've tried creating a new access key pair and using that; I've even
tried explicitly passing in a slightly incorrect secret key to
connect_s3 to see what happens there (I get a very similar error msg
to the one above).

It gives me the same error if I manually create a queue using that app
and call sqs.get_queue().

Since the standalone SQS queue manager app works fine, it feels like
it might be a problem at the boto end. Have I set up something
incorrectly? I put the access key id and secret key in /etc/boto.cfg
as per the usual approach; ie the boto.cfg file looks like:

[Credentials]
aws_access_key_id = AKIAJ5EM2PXNPKZ6AWOQ
aws_secret_access_key = <my secret key>

Weird that S3 works fine but SQS doesn't, right?

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.7 and python 2.7.2, and boto 1.9.

Mark Higgins

Jun 19, 2011, 11:26:12 PM6/19/11
to boto-users
Sorted - I upgraded to boto 2.0 and the problem disappeared.

Buchi Reddy Busireddy

May 8, 2015, 11:15:04 AM5/8/15
to boto-...@googlegroups.com, mig...@gmail.com
@Mark.

I know this thread is old but we are running into the exact same issue and this happens with boto 2.2.2 also. Can you please be specific on which version of boto has fixed this issue for you?